Touring Tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HorTs

Über Member
I've narrowed my tent choice down to 2: Hilleberg Akto and Vaude Power Lizard.

I discounted the Power Towkee because it has litte storage space. The Lizard is 1-2 person tent so has a lot of storage.

From reviews, condensation seems to be a problem for both (as it is with most tents). I have seen a review of the Lizard leaking but I suspect that an isolated incident.

I've had a Hilleberg tent before and they are brilliant.

Akto
1.6kg
58 x 17cm
£340ish

Lizard
1.1kg
35 x 10cm
£270ish

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

I'm interested in this subject as well, as i'm thinking of racking out the mtb next year for a tenting/touring holiday.

With regards to the lizard leaking ... it only takes a splash of tree resin, or greasy fingers, or fat from
the barbecue to make most modern tents leak.

Pottsy

I've had my Hilleberg Akto for a couple of years now. It's been used in some pretty stormy and rainy conditions. Never leaked. I couldn't recommend it more.

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
Oh no. Now I'm torn. Do I carry an extra 1kg and pay £255 less.

willem

Über Member
The new Hilleberg Anjan 2 would be a more comfortable 3 season alternative. 1.7 kg and acres of space for one, plus much better ventilation.
Willem

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
I have the banshee and walked the west highland way with it on my back. Would barely even notice it strapped to a bike and is pitched in 5 minutes. Great tent IMO

Darren Jeffrey

Über Member
my6uzeha.jpg

This is it pitched on a shingle beach on loch Lomond

OP
OP
HorTs

HorTs

Über Member
With tents I tend to believe you get what you pay for and I can't see how the Banshee can be so cheap yet compare so well to the Akto or Lizard. I guess I need to look at this a bit more.

With tents I tend to believe you get what you pay for and I can't see how the Banshee can be so cheap yet compare so well to the Akto or Lizard. I guess I need to look at this a bit more.
You do: It won't have the same internal height, it won't have as high spec materials, it won't have as good peg or poles, it won't have as big a porch, the inner won't be as good, it won't have as many nice touches and flourishes but it will do the job. It depends how much you want to compromise. I've just been through this process and bought a cheap tent as I can't afford a more expensive one due to having to purchase touring equipment for 4. It'll do for a few trips/seasons. That said, the Banshee is manufactured very well to a budget.

Top Bottom