1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Touring Thailand

Discussion in 'Touring and Expedition' started by kimcycle, 6 Jan 2017.

1. kimcycle

kimcycle New Member

My friend and I are planning a trip to Thailand at the end of this year hoping to cycle from Bangkok to the south islands. Any advice would be great as it is our first time doing a long tour.

Also, as it is only the two of us, we hoped to try and find others who want to do the same and was wondering what the best/safe way is to find fellow travellers before we leave.

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Never cycled there only visited on several occasions. I'd try to get some advise before starting, which is why youre posting here I guess. Its not the safest country in the world but you should be OK. I'd stick to mainish roads and don't cycle after dark. If you can go as a group that may be preferable.

The Thais are very friendly and welcoming to foreigners. They even have 'tourist police'. I dont know if youve been before but take time to learn the local customs. Its not acceptable to touch someone's head or have you feet pointing at another person if sitting down and talking to them. The King is highly revered and as he's on the currency, its an offence to stop a dropped note with your foot!

Have fun, I'm sure you'll love it, the food, especially the street food is fantastic. Seek out a 'suki yaki' restaurant if you can.

3. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

4. Hill Wimp

Hill Wimp Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded. Staff Member

5. hopless500

hopless500 Trundling along

We had the 1st and last nights hotel booked. We planned to get to certain places between 55 and 75 miles a day and once where intended, stopped for a beer and googled accommodation to get a few choices or popped in and checked out places if they were on the same street.
    Rural roads were fine. Main roads busy but they do try not to hit you.
    Cycling through Bangkok in rush hour is just plain awesome!
    In the more rural bits watch out for dogs. A squirt from a water bottle or a dog stick to wave around is good.
    Basically accommodation and food are easy.
    One thing I learned is that a handful of ice in a scarf or buff around your neck is a godsend on a long hot ride :okay:

6. Grant Fondo

Grant Fondo Parks, Hotels and Palaces, Europe Endless.

You will love it particularly when out of Bangkok. OnLy hired MTBs on Koh Samui but great place to cycle interior is epic lovely beaches, heard Chaweng is mega busy now, no airport and dirt tracks when I first went... Awesome. V hot Xmas to Easter but humidity much worse in north Thailand + mozzies the size of blackbirds .
    Koh Phagnan worth a ride around as well but watch out cycling after a mushroom shake

7. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Still no word back from kimcycle, hasn't been on since posting.

Was reading a report from the BBC she might like to peruse:

Life and death on Thailand's lethal roads - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38660283

Apparently Thailand's roads are second most dangerous in the world after Libya.