Touring to somewhere indefinitely :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I have joined because we (me + lovely boyfriend) are going cycle touring for as long as we can/want to. The plans keep changing and to be honest I don't want a rigid plan. I'd prefer to follow our hearts and serendipity. We're going to decide over the next few days if we will be heading across Europe and to the Middle East (original idea but not keen on the cold weather) or to Southern Spain and Morroco to cycle out the winter.

We also still need quite a bit of important gear including a bike and tent! We are hoping to leave mid Sept so time is running out but I'm a bit obsessed with buying everything second hand to recycle! I will search out the 'wanted' forum now and post the list of things we are in need of.

Would love to hear any advice on places and routes in Europe, Middle East and Asia...a bit vague I know but we could probably work in most great routes and places.

Keep riding :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Have fun, but watch out for packs of wild dogs - ask @SatNavSaysStraightOn about that one! :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I never got round to reading that, apart from the dog attack bit - I must start reading a few pages a day!
Best of luck with that, it could take a while! ;) I think it was 'heavy' going at the beginning as well, whilst I learnt how to write a journal as well.
There are a number of other journals as well as a soon to be new one ;) :whistle:

I read it some time ago and was amazed and moved and impressed all at the same time.

A wee while later, I saw someone called @SatNavSaysStraightOn had signed up - but it took me a while to put the 2 together ! :blush:
I actually joined here about a year prior to going - but was known by one of my old user ID's at the time.... When I got back to the UK, I asked Shaun to change my username...

@huffalump.fairy best wishes with your adventure. It is a fantastic experience and best not over planned, and don't force yourself to do silly distances each and every day. Let yourselves wander, but have a goal in mind - it helps to keep you moving forward and gives you a target to aim for so you don't get 'lost'. We wandered, but we had a target (the first being Nordkapp, then Helsinki, then Athens...) and that helped to keep us moving in the right direction.

You mention the Middle East and Asia - I take it you are aware of the changes in visa regs that are making life difficult for cycle touring in places like Iran and China... And I assume you have sorted out your vaccinations? Please do take them seriously. Both my husband and I were attacked by a pack of dogs - both of us were bitten and we were later to establish that we were on the edge of a known rabies outbreak. Suddenly those precautions we had taken in the UK seemed very sensible...

Also don't get too hooked up on recycled everything - kit will not last very long and you will soon realise that sometimes buying the expensive kit is what counts - it is often the only stuff that will last (with care) the rough life it will experience on the road. Usually when people say they have a tent that has lasted them 25 years, it has seen 2 weeks use each year... and when you add that up, it is less than a year on the road of being in use each day....

OP
OP
huffalump.fairy
Ah, this is a friendly forum! Was so surprised to see replies to my little intro.

SatNav - I'll read your dog bite story. I have also been bitten by a street dog, although just 1, not a pack of them...and I wasn't cycling, I was singing and shimmying along a road with my iPod on in Bolivia. Turned round as the evil little thing snapped at my ankle, then it vanished so I ended up forking out for rabies jabs at the local hospital. They gave me 2 options; the cheaper one that may cause mental health issues or the more expensive one which was £25 a jab. Wasn't the toughest choice of my life.

Thanks for the welcomes :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Oh, btw...how do I get enough 'privileges' to post a wanted ad?! It won't let me do it at the moment.
You have to have made a minimum number of posts and have been registered for a few days:
The Big Boss Man said:
Classifieds - Our Classifieds forums are for members to trade with each other and are for personal sales only. Access to Classifieds requires a minimum 5 posts and is enabled 10 days after you register on the site. Please try to put a guide price on items you are offering for sale. We have no control over buyer or seller, do not get involved in transactions, and do not hold personal details for any forum members so please be careful with your transactions. Please read the Disclaimer and Rules before posting. We reserve the right to remove any listing at our discretion without notice.
Link to the terms & conditions.

OP
OP
huffalump.fairy
You have to have made a minimum number of posts and have been registered for a few days:
Link to the terms & conditions.

Hey Phil

Thanks for letting me know. Patience patience it is then. I have definitely posted 5 times today anyway (if replies count too). Not sure I really have 10 days to wait though!

Also, just worked out the whole 'quote' thing which would have been useful replying to the other messages...getting to grip with the world of forums and liking it a lot :smile:

Top Bottom