Touring toolkit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Spoke key and spokes, and chain tool and quicklinks come up on lots of recommendations, but how often are they needed urgently on tour? - we have never needed them at all, and any failure that does not completely incapacitate the bike you can get to a bike shop to buy parts and tools if needed (or borrow tools).
Well a non linked chain might cause problems getting to a bike shop. I would always carry a link. I lost one once on a shopping trip round the south circular. A trailing pannier strap unhooked it i think. I managed to find it in the road but if i hadn't and hadn't had a link with me i would have been walking. Not much fun for want of such a tiddly bit.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Spare spokes
Kevlar spoke
Hypercracker

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Re pump, yes one each, didn't think to mention it as they are on pump brackets rather than in toolkit. also take a couple of pairs of disposable rubber gloves each, and a small rag.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Gravity Aided - did think of that sort of thing, I have a set at home with a more conventional screwdriver type handle and screwdriver and torx bits - can you get allen key bits for them as well?

Also, good idea re standard sizes, if swapped a few bolts I could get down to just 2 allen keys.
Yes, but only up to the size of the base. I got a shop set of drivers which covers everything, but the small, small sizes are still on regular Allen wrenches. It also has Robertson drivers, which are quite rare in the States. But you can get bit sets which effectively cover most everything.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Here's the suggested tour kit I send out.
This is mainly aimed at those going on a group road tour in Europe, not a solo expedition to far off lands.
Some of the links are there to prevent people getting fobbed off with rubbish by a dodgy lbs - you may know better / cheaper &c, but that's not the point.

You tour on a fixed?
Man of steel.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
I've had my 28 spoke wheels for about 10 years, never broken a spoke. But on my old 32 spoke wheel I ripped off the RD and hanger, which went into the wheel and sheared a spoke. Only an audax, so could fix and limp back.
Edit: @Blue Hills got in first.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Good point, though there is always the chance of spokes being broken by a rear mech going into them.
I've done it.

Only if badly adjusted and even so you’d need to take out a lot more spikes before it becomes a problem. I doubt many carry that many spare spokes anyway. Three broken spokes on a 36 spoke wheel you’d be able to get it pretty true anyway.

Only if badly adjusted and even so you’d need to take out a lot more spikes before it becomes a problem. I doubt many carry that many spare spokes anyway. Three broken spokes on a 36 spoke wheel you’d be able to get it pretty true anyway.
Thanks for the reassurance on the wheel (i always use 36 on tourers) but mech issue not really a matter of bad adjustment unless you are being a real numpty tourer. Usually caused by knocks. Any suspicion of a knock, turn bike over (ie no load) and check the workings of the mech/heady desire to go for the spokes.

Top Bottom