Touring tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm cycling to Barcelona from London in a few weeks on a Mercian road bike with 700 x 20 wheels. I currently have some slim urban type tyres and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the selection of touring tyres available. I need something reasonably sturdy as I plan to stick to country/ b-roads as much as possible. Any help on choosing some would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

sabian92

Über Member
Schwalbe Marathon +

No better touring tyre available although I wouldn't be touring on 20s as they're a bit skinny, unless you were doing it full supported.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Schwalbe Marathon Plus are the reference without any shadow of a doubt. Some say there's too much rolling resitstance, but I say that doesn't matter when you're perhaps carrying 15 or 20 kgs. They are really hard to put on, though. Having said that, with 20s you'll probably not be able to fit them. In that case, try to find something that has a kevlar layer to protect against punctures.

sidevalve

Über Member
Even in my limited experiance I'd go up a size or maybe even two to 25 to allow a wider choice and maybe protect the rim a bit more.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You could easily go up to a 28C tyre on MA2 rims, assuming the frame has the clearance. Personally, I'd go for a 32C tyre for that kind of ride, and it should be fine on those rims - again, assuming the frame has the clearance. (Which model of Mercian is it?)

My choice would be Marathon Supreme in 28 or 32C. Regular Marathons or Marathon Plus would give better puncture protection but would be noticeably slower. I think the Supremes give pretty decent protection anyway. </Schwalbe fanboy>

d.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Continental Top Contact are a good tyre too, run 32's on one of my bikes.

OP
OP
T
It's a King of Mercia 531c audax touring/road bike from 1992. How can I check if the frame has the clearance, do I just measure with a tape?

albion

Guru
Obviously being used to 20mm, 25 or 26 mm might be your thing.
I've always used Marathon Plus for commuting but they are fat and very very heavy.

Maybe use Soma Everwears to keep the road feel and a more sensible weight.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I don't think weight of tyres is really an issue when you're touring -although it might be when you're commuting and it definitely is when you're racing. When you're carrying paniers with your clothes, food, tent, sleeping bag, kitchen stuff ... those few extra grams are irrelevant. I think the extra weight is worth it, knowing that you'll probably never have a puncture when it's pouring with rain, getting dark when you're in the middle of nowhere and you really want to find that campground.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
It's a King of Mercia 531c audax touring/road bike from 1992. How can I check if the frame has the clearance, do I just measure with a tape?

Ooh, lovely bike!

It's a model that's specifically designed for touring, so I imagine you'll be fine with 32C tyres, maybe even 35C. Plus mudguards too (always a good idea for touring). And you will notice a huge improvement in comfort with larger tyres, especially over the kind of distance you're doing.

I had a look at the Mercian website. They mention that the bike is supplied with Panaracer Tourguard tyres (presume they mean Paselas). They don't specify what size though, and they come in quite a wide range of sizes... Paselas are also a very good choice of tyre, by the way, and probably cheaper than Marathons.

http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/complete-bikes/47/king-of-mercia-complete-bikes

You can get an idea of what size tyres the frame will take just by measuring with a ruler, but you might want to err on the cautious side if doing this.

d.

Top Bottom