Touring with a recumbent - equipment questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK. New secondhand recumbent owner with a good touring machine but previous model. This means manufacturer doesn't supply or make a rack that fits it. Seems the addition of an "e" at the end of the model name and switch from steel to Aluminium frame means they needed to design a new rack and stop making the old one.

So I can fit two ortlieb panniers on the rear rack but don't have enough capacity with just that. I hoped a lowrider would be possible.

So what's the cheapest solution to increased luggage capacity?

So far I could bodge a terracycle rack made for a different but similar design recumbent. This is $160 from USA plus duty (if I get caught) plus possibly half again if I need to use half the kit from two different racks. I'd have to buy panniers costing about £100. So perhaps it'll cost more than banana bags all in.

Second option is to ditch the panniers and use radical designs banana bags. IIRC they're 35 litres (or is that 35 litres per side = 70 litres total?). Also costing €260.

Are there any other options?

In a money no object world I would want two racks, two pairs of ortlieb panniers plus a seat bag from radical designs. Total potential capacity would be 90 litres (excluding a top tube pack I own that I think would work on the beam of my recumbent).

Just thought but an adventure trailer (single wheel trailer). Panniers and that loaded fairly lightly could be an option, but one I hate. Don't like single wheel trailers. Besides it would stop me using a followme-tandem to tow my son (if he needs it).

So any suggestions?

Oh Well...better call D.TEK
Kevin has all the above options you have mentioned !
Can offer new and used from stock .
At sensible prices :reading:
But you probably new all that :banghead:
Plus snow spike tyres suitable for HP Streetmachine...if you have snow :snowball:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Doubt he'll have lowrider rack for my recumbent unless he takes it off another recumbent potentially reducing its value.

I'll have to check my emails but IIRC I did contact him and got directed to a retailer who sells the brand. They sent me to the manufacturer who said current rack was incompatible and they don't make the old rack. And IIRC they directed me to terracycle in USA who don't make models of racks for European recumbent brands but might be able to cobble something usable from potentially two types of their racks.

I just wondered if there's any recumbent tourers on here who have solutions other than two racks and 4 panniers. Kind of like slightly bigger banana bags.

Like a lot of us recumbent riders , welcome to the build it yourself club , we haven't had any problems either making storage or modifying to fit our trikes , a pair of McLaren hamster bags on the seat frame and a rack with panniers will still allow yo to pull a 2'wheel trailer , a single wheel device will rip the rear end out of a trike due to cornering forces .
Note hamster bags have gone out of production, l sourced 2 pairs from ebay at £25 a pair.

regards Emma

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
There's a company called buggybags. I bought from their bike bags website last year. They do upright bike frame bags and the like. A lot of bespoke stuff. They also make stuff for kite buggies. They might do something too. Forgot about them.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Single wheel trailers are supposedly OK with 2 wheeled recumbents. Although in my case it'll be an axle mounted attachment to take the front wheel of a child's bike. It's a 26" rear wheel which the manufacturer of the attachment says theoretically would allow use of the kit. Trials are subject to more experience on the new type of bike.

I've contacted custom bike bag manufacturers and theoretically one has replied back saying they could do something. I guess I need to design something.

What capacity are your buggy bags? What size are they too? If a decent design could be produced then one of these UK based bikepacking firms could produce something for other recumbent riders without the sewing machine and skills needed to MYOG too. I'm sure I'm not the only one here. I think I need time alone with my recumbent, tape measure and some paper.

PaulM

Guru
If D-Tek has as used underseat rack to offer then suggest you go with that. Otherwise you might be able to bodge something together around one of the Toxy racks, depending on where your mounting points are.

Google hamster bags , doesn't give capacity , but measurements etc .they are good to carry 5 kg

I am sure a keen seamsmith could design and make something custom for trikes , now we only need to get one interested in the sport .

Why not engineer a rack / rack mount to fit , too many bodgers and not enough engineers , must be a dying art .

later's Emma

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I tell you what, looking at your builds I would call you an engineer.

Not knowing whether your background is in engineering or not, please take that as a compliment based on my assumption that there's not really that many real engineers around. If you are from an engineering background then it's certainly showing up in your builds.

byegad

Legendary Member
WHATEVER YOU DO, don't fit a single wheel trailer to a trike. I watched a guy cycle away from a cafe on an aluminium tadpole with a single wheel trailer behind. The flexing behind the seat was frightening to anyone with even a fundamental knowledge of metal fatigue.

These are our standard day to day storage solutions , my red trike has the option of fitting an alli rack and pannier bags and still tow a 4x2x1 camping trailer (2 wheeled )

Thanks is for the compliment , did a little engineering l think in a former life ( lol )

WP_20180211_12_47_02_Pro.jpg
WP_20180211_12_46_52_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I can guess about the trike / single wheel trailer issue but it doesn't apply to my two wheeled 'bent. I understand that it's not much different to an upright two wheeled in terms of being able to take such a trailer.

It's a nice, shiny and immaculate HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GT (old model) bought from a keen cyclist on this forum. Well in my opinion it's immaculate, I've still got that new purchase tinted glasses. I've got it all set up for my height. Gears are all set up after lengthening the boom. I've just got to get out more often to get used to it. Straight after sorting out the length and gears I got easily up to 19mph on a rough, bumpy towpath. I haven't noticed it's harder due to different muscles but I've not cycled that far.

I also need to load it up with a bit of weight to find out how it feels to ride loaded. Then with more luggage capacity I'll build up the load. I need to get used to it and improve handling so I can carry the greater part of our load for family touring. I think my son will be attached to my partner's bike this tour so I'll need more of the kit. Hence the extra load.

Been looking at photographs of banana bags The largest ones have 70 litres total volume. However looking at photographs of them they look like blocking up a rear rack. Does anyone know if they fit with panniers on the rear rack? I'm thinking they'll interfere but could be pushed out a bit so they'll work out.

Trailer (single wheel) is a last option that we have. We have a Burley D-lite double child trailer (bought because it was on such a good deal it was cheaper than single ones). Could use that as a luggage trailer but it's big even folded up. Since we're likely to be driving to the ferry we'll need to fit everything inside the car.

Been looking at photographs of banana bags The largest ones have 70 litres total volume. However looking at photographs of them they look like blocking up a rear rack. Does anyone know if they fit with panniers on the rear rack? I'm thinking they'll interfere but could be pushed out a bit so they'll work out.
I've got both the small and medium Radical banana bags.
The small size banana bag fits only on the seat, so you can still use panniers on the rack.
The medium size banana bag uses the rack to support the back half of the bag so only the top is free to use.

Top Bottom