Touring with Children (Euro 8)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee-M

Does anybody have experince of a) taking children touring and b) knowledge of the Eurovelo 8 from Barcelona to Montpellier .

I have daughters aged (next year) 11 and 13 who are reasonably keen on cycling and ,for what I think would be an eventful holiday, I though we could fly Easyjet with bikes , bags , camping kit etc to Barcelona and make our way up to Montpellier to fly home . This would be over two weeks so there wouldn't be a huge rush but if the girls get a bit sick of cycling or we have a problem we will be close to the French-Spanish trainline and we can always hop on this to progress.

Is the Eurovelo 8 (or any other in fact) just a series of local cycle paths that are linked with a new Euro badge like parts of the NCN1?

And one last thing . Try as I might to persuade them that 25% hills are not all that steep they are getting wise to my BS. Is this section a hilly ride?

Is the Eurovelo 8 (or any other in fact) just a series of local cycle paths that are linked with a new Euro badge like parts of the NCN1?
I've done sections on a few eurovelo routes (1,4,6,10,12,15,17) and most are fairly continuous but you can always find a gap/loose the route.
The Rhine, Loire, Danube, Baltic, Elbe where well signposted and easy to follow, I tended to only get lost in cities.
Other routes where a bit more iffy, southern Rhone being one.

As you're cycling with children, I'd check out the cycling guide books from Cicerone Press. That would give you the best option of picking a good signposted route and sticking to it.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've done a section of that route, but that was over 10 years ago.
(Avignon, Canal du Midi, Bordeaux)

All ridable and would be OK with kids

For transport there and back take a look at European Bike Express
http://www.bike-express.co.uk/Tour/Mediterranean_A_To_UK_One_Way_Only/PickupPoints

For maps we found by far the best were the BikeLine books
http://www.esterbauer.co.uk/db_detail.php?buecher_code=MIDI
The text is in German, but that's not important is the maps are great

The main issue would be dates
In July and August it can get to over 40c in that area
Once in gets into the high 30's riding becomes impossible, and so 3-4 hour siesta's are needed every day

keithaitch

Veteran
Does anybody have experince of a) taking children touring and b) knowledge of the Eurovelo 8 from Barcelona to Montpellier .

I have daughters aged (next year) 11 and 13 who are reasonably keen on cycling and ,for what I think would be an eventful holiday, I though we could fly Easyjet with bikes , bags , camping kit etc to Barcelona and make our way up to Montpellier to fly home . This would be over two weeks so there wouldn't be a huge rush but if the girls get a bit sick of cycling or we have a problem we will be close to the French-Spanish trainline and we can always hop on this to progress.

And one last thing . Try as I might to persuade them that 25% hills are not all that steep they are getting wise to my BS. Is this section a hilly ride?
If you are still thinking of doing this I would be happy to help with ride planning. I live in Barcelona and have a house near Beziers and know all the roads in between. However, if the girls are not that experienced catalán roads are not cycle friendly in general, unless you know the quiet ones. Starting in Girona might be a better idea, to get you on to quieter roads quicker. French roads are wonderful.

John Peel

Does anybody have experince of

I know you want to hear from people who have taken children, but just a few weeks ago I cycled from Barcelona to Montpellier, and I would have loved to have done it the other way around, as the winds were vicious. I took the route from Spain to France from behind Roses, heading for a town called Espolla. From the back of that village is a road that takes you right over the hills to the coast, steep in parts, but really quiet and away from the main roads adn traffic. I was warned it was pretty nasty for cyclists on the busier road routes. Then there was a really steep downhill to Banyuls-sur-Mer. It was pretty hill too from then on from that beautiful little town, and the roads didn't have much in the way of hard shoulder. Which ever way you go over those border hills, once over after maybe 10 miles, it is smooth sailing all the way, with little in the way of hills to speak off, but the winds come in sets farther along the coast. I timed it pretty bad with 5 days of mad headwinds and again not much in the way of hard shoulder. Keeping towards the edges of the national parks on the coast side will take you along flat gravel paths and some great scenery. I'm telling you this because I was on my first ever cycle tour, and if I could do it, kids are going to fly through it :smile:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lee-M

Lee-M

Sorry chaps , I've only just seen your posts .

Mr Brains - thanks for info . Will spend some time looking at the links.

Mr Keith - thanks for the offer . May well take you up on that.

Mr Peel - thanks for the details . I am expecting a reasonable amount of whinging so your last sentence has given my renewed hope.

asiermila

Dear Lee-M
My wife and me are planning to cycle from Argeles-sur-Mer to Monpelier following the Eurovelo 8, with our kids, in Easter (10 to 19th april). They are 6 and 9. We are well experienced: Garone, Danube, Rhin, Loire,...last Easter we cycled from Nantes to LaRochelle.

I am planning the route and stages. 30 km max /day. ¿Could you tell me how was your experience? Is it well signposted? Are roads are quite? How much gravel (we hate)?
Is there any guide book? I could not find any.

Thank you

asiermila

I am wandering to do this part or start in Monpellier and cycle to viaRhoda? Anyone have comparative experience?
Thank you

Asier

Top Bottom