Touring with unsuitable bikes -part 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm back on tour with my old commuter. Alloy frame with carbon forks and loosely CX based from planetx, the London road model. Chose it over the touring recumbent because I'm crap up hills on the bent and couldn't afford to lower the gearing to cope in time for this trip.

So first day was a struggle. Second I took weight out of bar bag and it was better. Now I'm feeling like there's too much flex up front somehow.

How can i make the best of what I have on this trip and future ones?

Must add that I'm using the plus sized ortlieb rear panniers, 11 litre frame bag, up to 25 litre dry bag on top of rear rack, 9 litre bar bag, stem bag and top tube bag. I'm fully loaded touring with partner and 9 year old so carrying a lot more than a lightweight kit.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
Post home all the gear you haven't used after a few days on the road. Why do you need all that luggage capacity?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I was about to weigh in with talk of touring on a singlespeeder, a carbon road bike and a Brompton over the years, then I saw you had a one year old along for the ride. I have no helpful advice to offer, but 'Chapeau!' anyway.

Sallar55

Veteran
Missed the last sentence, was thinking ahead and how heavy the bike would be. What's the other half s load the youngest?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There really is not a wrong touring bike. But there is wrong areas to tour on the bike you have. I have toured in Denmark on my scooter. I wouldnt think of taking it to Italy.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Oops! The number 9 got missed. Although we did tour mull and oban when 3 yo 9n the back of my partner's bike. I towed a single wheel trailer then with normal sized panniers and rack top bag on that trip.

Junior's panniers are front rollers and full of books and toys! The rest we carry.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I
There really is not a wrong touring bike. But there is wrong areas to tour on the bike you have. I have toured in Denmark on my scooter. I wouldnt think of taking it to Italy.
I've toured Netherlands route 1 north of ijmeuden and Belgium from oostende towards Ardennes with this bike and standard ortliebs. I took the larger ortliebs to make loading easier but they're really meant for the recumbent which is better able to take them.

I do think you're right in what you say though.

Have you got enough time to buy a trailer from somewhere local?

A trailer makes a lot of sense with a bike that isn't meant for load carrying. You can sell your bags when you get home and probably break even.

When I used to have one (which I wish I hadn't got rid of), I used to use a hard plastic suitcase. Totally waterproof, tough as you like.

Top Bottom