Touring without mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanO

Those nice airline people bent mine, so i will be removing them for my trip to France in Sept. I just hope it doesn't rain too much!

bonj2

AlanO said:
Those nice airline people bent mine, so i will be removing them for my trip to France in Sept. I just hope it doesn't rain too much!

What airline was that, so I can remember to give them a tip when I next fly?

Keith Oates

Janner
Mudguards are a must when travelling, a steady and constant jet of rainwater from the tyres into the panniers is bound to make them leak eventually if you leave them off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bonj2

Cunobelin said:
Wot - Like...

"If you want to live, don't damage the mudguards!"

no, like a tenner. :biggrin: The fact they'll get bent when on planes is "Reason 1,001" not to use mudguards.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Am I missing something here? Surely when you break down a bike for the plane you have to take off the wheels and therefore have to remove the mudguards as well. The main problem is the fiddly hassle of fitting them back on at a foreign airport. I have always done it but I'm considering not doing it next time. Most of the crap thrown up by the rear wheel is taken by the underside of the rack where I keep my groundsheet anyway. My wife doesn't slipstream me on the tourer! Although the guards shouldn't get bent if they're removed and packed 'inside' the frame in the bag.

yello

rich p said:
Surely when you break down a bike for the plane you have to take off the wheels.

Admittedly my experience isn't broad, nor recent, but I've never had to remove the wheels.

Top Bottom