Tourists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Busy in the SW Lakes.

Major component of the local economy although the caravans & motorhomes cause chaos and the tourists who are driving v.slowly whilst ooh-ing and aah-ing at the lovely scenery can grate a bit.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Warrington is heaving with tourists. It is reported we had 2 in the same week recently.
Should have reported 'em to the police... they're obviously lost.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
This afternoon we're heading off to visit the place of my birth to see my mum and dad who still live there.

Totnes seems busy all the time and in the holidays is generally at a total standstill as it is the last bridge over the River Dart.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thankfully, Northumberlnd is so big that you don't notice the summer influx

Zimbob

Über Member
Aye, there's been a fair increase in them up here over the last couple of years. A lot more campervans recently too, which can be a bit of a pest on the single-track roads.
I work over in Skye every so often, and it's been just rammed with tourists the last two years...

We visit York quite a lot for shopping, it gets tourist all year round but noticeable moor in summer, its hard to tell if there is more this year because its rammed as usual.

I like to see the tourists it makes for a good atmosphere.

My parents live in York and report it is rammed.

It always fascinated me in York that in the centre there are people speaking every language possible and photographing anything, yet if you go more than a few hundred metres from the centre and around a corner, suddenly the population density plummets and you're in a normal street surrounded by locals.

The old city is fantastic onna bike before six.

Last edited:
The Borough Council appear to have a policy of actively dissuading visitors by turning Northampton into one of the the most carp towns in the country. Not sure about the policy but you cannot fault the vigor with which it is being implemented. The County Council have now picked up on the idea and have decided to take the whole country down as well.

For a county council, you've got admire their ambition there.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I live near Bath. Unsurprisingly I see the odd tourist.

It, too, has Jane Austen connections.
I live near Basingstoke which is also the birthplace of Jane Austen (well almost). Surprisingly we do see the odd tourist but once they've exhausted the Austen trail I think they hightail it out of town. One of my favourite bike routes goes through the village she lived in and a few times I've met tourists (usually American) stumbling around trying to find the house she was born in, which is difficult as it no longer exists!

Top Bottom