Tourney groupset upgrade to Caris/Sora: is it worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
Hi everyone. I have just physically counted the teeth on the rear of the Airlite. The larger cog has 28 teethe, and the smallest cog has 12. On the front, the larger of the two 'rings' has 50 teethe. I haven't managed to count the smaller front ring. The only label on the rear states that it is a 7 speed SIS index. It seems the 2014 limited edition Airlite has an updated cassette than the internet reviews available. I have googled the difference between a 28 toothe cog and a 30. There are two opinions; that the 30 toothe cog isn't much better than a 28, and yet others think the 30 just gives an extra edge. Others opinions I have read on discussion threads suggest leaving the mech alone and buying new wheels to take some of the weight off a bike. Another suggestion I read stated that the person asking about cassette issues should loose some body weight and get fitter. Perhaps at 55 I'm just getting older.

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
Standard tourney derailleur has always been a long cage one on bikes I've seen. I'd also suggest that it's a freewheel rather than a free hub.

@stevenfarthing you can check this by looking at the rear hub in your wheel. If it is fatter on the gear side between the spokes then it is a cassette, if it is the same on both sides then it's a freewheel.

The good news if it's a freewheel is that getting a 7 speed 14-28 for around £20 fitted by your local bike shop.

Attachments

• WP_20170813_13_49_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170813_13_49_32_Pro.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 72
  • WP_20170813_13_48_25_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170813_13_48_25_Pro.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 73

DRM

Guru
Having read why you are attached to the bike, I think your best course of action would be to fit the 32 tooth cassette, this will make the inclines easier, I would then keep my eyes open for a used right hand Tiagra lever (10 speed) on ebay or such,then fit that with a 12-32 10 speed cassette when the price is right,then upgrade other things as they wear out, forget the chainset, it's already got a compact fitted, under the circumstances I reckon you will end up with a custom bike that is truly individual and yours.

GlenBen

Über Member
As above really. A 32 tooth will make a difference for sure. Id see how you get on with that and then if you want to do more, have a look at other options after, there are plenty of other things you could try.

As for the weight saving, any weight loss will make for easier hill climbing, from either yourself or the bike. However, light weight bike parts dont come cheap and in my eyes at least, dont offer enough difference to warrant consideration. Fitness will come with riding, just enjoy it.

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
As above really. A 32 tooth will make a difference for sure. Id see how you get on with that and then if you want to do more, have a look at other options after, there are plenty of other things you could try.

As for the weight saving, any weight loss will make for easier hill climbing, from either yourself or the bike. However, light weight bike parts dont come cheap and in my eyes at least, dont offer enough difference to warrant consideration. Fitness will come with riding, just enjoy it.

TTSS

Über Member
If you bought that bike on-line, I can almost guarantee it will not be set up properly. Find a local bike shop (LBS) not one of the big high street ones.
Pay them to do a basic service. Should be no more than £30. They will adjust everything to the right specification. Cables stretch and minor adjustments are required on all new bikes after a month to 6 weeks dependent on how much your using it. Ride it for a month and see if you notice the difference which I'm sure you will.

Don't spend a tidy sum upgrading a cheap frame and wheel set. This is where bike shops/manufacturers cut back to save money.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you bought that bike on-line, I can almost guarantee it will not be set up properly. Find a local bike shop (LBS) not one of the big high street ones.
Pay them to do a basic service. Should be no more than £30. They will adjust everything to the right specification. Cables stretch and minor adjustments are required on all new bikes after a month to 6 weeks dependent on how much your using it. Ride it for a month and see if you notice the difference which I'm sure you will.

Don't spend a tidy sum upgrading a cheap frame and wheel set. This is where bike shops/manufacturers cut back to save money.
Did you read the OP. :rolleyes:

Did you read the OP. :rolleyes:
Not the OP, but this one

An issue for me and the Airlite is that my amazing and fantastic wife bought it for me by paying it off over several months after my post was cut at work. The shop kept it boxed out back until it was paid for in dribs and drabs. She thought having a bike would be good for me, so I have some emotional attachment to it.

<sniff> it's like The Gift of the Magi, without being so depressing.

OP
OP
stevenfarthing

stevenfarthing

Regular
Hi everyone. I have changed the cassette to 32 cog and it has made a good difference. But, it was fitted at Halfords and the chain kept slipping so badly I couldn't ride the bike. I took it to a local bicycle mechanic who had a look and said the 32 cog was fine as are my gear mechanisms and shifters, but it had been set up terribly with the torque way out. The Airlite now changes gear like a dream and I'm out and about on it.

I have fitted low end Shimano gears to heavily used everyday commuter bikes and get about 2 years out of a derailleur. They work well enough.
If you are finding hills a problem you need lower gears and/or a lighter bike-rider combination.
It is only worthwhile upgrading after your gears are worn out. An upgrade may not be worthwhile on a heavier entry level frame. Higher level components may be gained by a whole bike upgrade.

woosey

Halfords TDF here, comes with tourney groupset and some unbranded square taper cranks.

It's my daily commuter so mudguards etc, chucked a complete 105 5800 at it for around 11 months and 5000KM, and that was great, but now moving the 5800 to another frame so back to tourney.

TBH i don't miss the 11 speed (vs 7) and setup correctly, as you would expect the indexing is spot on. The massive difference for me is the BB, i would upgrade the cranks / bottom bracket as the square taper is so flexible compared to the newer hollowtech (to the point of rubbing on the front derailer when putting some power down!)

Top Bottom