Tow bar mounted bike rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Dear CCers

We are thinking of getting a new car. We wish to have a bike rack for our S&S equiped tandem so we don't have to be always stuffing it in the back. To this end we will get a tow-bar fitted to the car (probably a Nissan Note or Honda Jazz).

Now, I have never had a tow-bar before, never mind a bike rack hanging off one, so I was wondering what I need to consider and any recommendations that people may have. The tandem splits into two, on about a 30/70 split, so the front wheel, forks, handlebars etc. will go in the boot and the rest of the frame and rear wheel we hope to put on the rack - it is about the same length as a normal bike when split.

I think I will need a "hang-on" type, rather than a "sit-on" one, since the tandem will obviously only have one wheel when it is on the rack. - Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Andrew

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thule are a good brand, at least they are popular - a good choice or should I be looking elsewhere ?

Andrew

Broadside

Guru
Thule are very good, I got a ride on model for four bikes second hand on eBay.

Thule are nicely built and the new ones including the tow bar hang on versions have a neat attachment clamp which is very easy to use. If it's really easy to use, you will use it more.

Chrisz

Über Member
I have a Pendle set-up. The base stays permanently bolted behind the tow ball and the arms can then be dropped in when needed. It does me fine - very strong and versatile, easily fits 3 bikes (4 at a push) and the tow ball can still be used to tow trailers etc (even with the bikes on!). You will probably need a light/number plate board though.

Top Bottom