Towing boats on a bike trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
This is probably really ambitious, but has got me thinking.

I have seen pictures of canoes and kayaks being towed by a bike and see that it could be done. But with my thinking, how about going a stage further than this and tow something like a Laser dinghy.

Any thoughts?

How far would you be towing it? I'd have thought a Laser was a bit too heavy and unwieldy to tow safely behind a bike, but I've never tried it.

OP
OP
Matthames

Matthames

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
How far would you be towing it? I'd have thought a Laser was a bit too heavy and unwieldy to tow safely behind a bike, but I've never tried it.

Not really sure, I am interested to see if it could be done. Unfortunately I don't have a Laser dinghy at the moment, but would hope to acquire one at some point in the future. I don't envisage towing it far though, because like you say they are pretty heavy and unwieldy, the last one I owned seemed to be heavier then the others in the boat park, which probably accounted for me not winning anything :wacko:

Norm

A Laser would make quite a load to tow - although there was a post on here a few weeks back from a chap who had cycled round London towing a kayak.

Edited to add: Here you go

Norm

The 'glass can turn porous and absorb water.

I bet I can claim the oldest, though, sail number 2493. :smile: What are they up to now? Have they passed 200k yet?

jay clock

Massive member
I was in Tanzania recently and they would sneer at pathetic load like a dinghy, when they tow a huge trailer with a pile of sofas about 10 foot high! Go for it

Clarkey

There was a thread about this on a canoeing forum a while back - lots of comments about how illegal it was to tow something the size of a canoe with a bike. Try as I might I can't find any legal limit on pushbike trailer dimensions though - does anyone know if they exist?

I have a 16' dinghy (60kg) that I would quite like to tow to the river with my Brompton, a distance of about 1 mile with no hills. The only thing really putting me off is the typically pathetic Brompton brakes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Clarkey said:
There was a thread about this on a canoeing forum a while back - lots of comments about how illegal it was to tow something the size of a canoe with a bike. Try as I might I can't find any legal limit on pushbike trailer dimensions though - does anyone know if they exist?

I have a 16' dinghy (60kg) that I would quite like to tow to the river with my Brompton, a distance of about 1 mile with no hills. The only thing really putting me off is the typically pathetic Brompton brakes.

I supppose you could allways throw out an anchor :-)

Wobbly John

Veteran
I tow my boat, but it's only an 8 footer:

boattrail.jpg

It's pedal powered BTW:

otherway.jpg

;)

Top Bottom