Townsend Catalogue Bikes.... worth the effort ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys, I'm new here, and wanted some feedback on a little project I have going. My GF has an old Townsend ladies framed bike that spent a few years under a tree in her garden, but that I have now invested some time and effort into getting back onto the road.

Question....despite having the words "hand built in the UK" on the frame, is this bike of any quality, and will it stand up to a 1000 mile road tour we're planning for next year ? Basically, is it worth investing further money in?

I don't know anything of Townsend bikes; it was bought from a Grattan catalogue about 10 years ago.....

Anyone got any thoughts ?

Thanks

Paul

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a Townsend bike. I've been told (don't know if it's true) that they were a cheapo brand made by Elleswick-Hopper. But whatever, mine is a perfectly good bike, not a lightweight by any stretch of the imagination but it is a basic and well made product and has given no real trouble down the years. If well serviced, I'm sure it will cope with your tour no problem at all.

Townsend

Thanks Tyred, I've stripped out most of it, including the BB and have cleaned off and reassembled with new grease, brakes, handlebars and gears set up, so it's only the frame I am worried about. If it is a reasonably good quality steel tube, I am sure I can rebuild any of the components as and when they fall off.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Sure it'll cope...question is, is that all you're after? If I was going to cycle 1000 miles, I'd think seriously about getting a bike that would make it a lot more fun. Needn't be expensive, if you're careful and patient.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I am doing the same for my wife.I bought her the Townsend in 1998 for us to enjoy cycling together but after two rides out it got laid up in the shed.Just started to clean it up and the whole thing is still in very good condition with the only thing requiring change is the bottom crank which i am changing for a sealed unit i have lying around.Good but heavy bike by todays standards but will save me buying a new bike which i am sure would get very little use !!!

Top Bottom