toying with losing the gears...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ward-c

hi all, bought a 2010 allez sport 27 speed with upgraded tiagra gears, tiagra sti shifters and tiagra chainring. seem to be continually messing with the gear set up so am thinking of changing to single speed as i am told this way i wont have to change the rear wheel. any advice appreciated and does anyone know how much i am likely to get for tiagra bits and pieces and how much is it likely to cost for decent quality ss conversion? cheers.

btw im a complete mechanical numpty so please reply in idiot-proof laymens terms!!

Radius

SHREDDER
I wouldn't bother converting that bike, it's not an ideal starting point anyway, and that's a decent road bike. I'd get an old road frame and convert that to single-speed instead, could cost as little as £200 or thereabouts. Actually, I'd convert it to fixed-gear, much more fun, but whatever floats your boat.

ward-c said:
seem to be continually messing with the gear set up

If you're continually messing with the gear set-up then either you've got some worn parts or you're not adjusting it properly (noting you're a "complete mechanical numpty").

ward-c said:
how much is it likely to cost for decent quality ss conversion?

Keep with what you've got and just don't change gear - cost zero pounds.

Sound advice from Radius.

BigSteev

Alien8 said:
If you're continually messing with the gear set-up then either you've got some worn parts

Though you'd hope not with a 2010 bike and a decent drivetrain. Sounds more like a set-up issue. Have a look on Shimano's website for the instructions on how to set up the gears - they're pretty good - and just follow that through step by step.

RedBike

Groupsets / shifters are worth a fortune at the moment. You could easily grt over £100 for them if all the parts are in good condition.

A single speed setup will cost you about £10-£15 for the sprocket/ 'cassette conversion'. (ie one single sprocket with two big spacers either side.)

As you don't have horizontal dropouts you will need some form of chain tensioner, They're very similar to a rear mech but only normally have one jockey wheel. Again, about £10-£15.

Riding a correctly setup single speed doesn't feel the same as riding a geared bike but not changing gear. A single speed setup is noticably more efficient/lighter so you can normally cope with a much higher gear than you would on a geared bike.

Edit
Nearly forgot, if you want to run just one chainring you will need new crankset bolts. Normally refered to as track or fixed chainring bolts.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
charlie the bikemonger will sell you everything you need to do the conversion but if I wanted to get there I wouldn't start from here. You get me?

snailracer

Über Member
A tune-up at your LBS will sort out your gears for less than the price of converting anything.
Doing a SS conversion on a new model mainstream geared road bike will only attract ridicule from road cyclists and sneers from SS/fixie posers. Maybe that's what you're looking for?

nuovo_record

i'd get a second bike or frame and convert it to SS or fixed.
the lfgss.co.uk website is quite helpful
went SS early in the year and it's quite a pleasure to ride.....

Top Bottom