Toying with the thought of an E Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Good point, cycle carriers are limited in the weight they can take. Two 25kg eBikes would come close on many. This is also potentially a challenge for those planning to transport eBike on a Motorhome/campervan/caravan, the all up weight, including battery, needs to be taken into account for payload purposes.

I've just looked up my roof rack (Thule) and it can't take more than 17kg. Their towbar carriers though are rated much higher (60kg, max 30kg per bike).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I ride about 200km a week on my road bike. A lot of that is commuting. I decided that taking a break occasionally would be good and ordered a Moustache Friday 28.7 electric bike. I have ridden about 300km on it inthe past 2 weeks and it is excellent. It has a range of over 100km. What is impressive is that it rides really well when the power is off. That really extends the distance. We have now ordered one for Jannie and we will be touring on them in the summer. We have ordered the drop bar version but they also do a straight bar. They are great bikes and well below your budget and are worth a look.

20220614_052753.jpg

Gubbins

One thing to consider with e-bikes is charging. Massively simplified if you can remove the battery and take that indoors, otherwise you need to have the bike near a power source for 2-4 hours it needs to recharge.
Mid-drives tend to be more powerful and heavier while (rear) hub motors like the Mahle ebikemotion make for a lighter bike but can struggle up really steep hills.
As you probably know e-bikes are limited to 25kmh (15.5 mph) which isn't normally a problem for your use case, but can be if and when you want to get a wriggle on, because above that speed it's just your legs vs the extra 3-5kg of battery and motor weight that is no longer providing any assistance

Top Bottom