Toying with the thought of an E Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amac

Hi guys,
I was looking for a bit of advice and thoughts if possible please.
I am thinking of starting the "approval" process :smile: with my wife to get her an E Bike.

I do a fair bit more cycling than see does, she is busy doing most the looking after our 3 year grandson.
I ride with the local cycling club in the week, and we go out at the weekend together.
She is good for 30-35 miles at a very steady av 8-10mph, but the hills take out any enjoyment after a while.

We have had a good weeks cycling in Norfolk, which I picked for obvious reasons :smile:
We would like to try some more cycling holidays, of course I want her to enjoy it and not dread the hills or head winds.
She currently rides a Ridgeback hybrid.

Sorry that's a lot of background.

I was going to try and persuade her on to an E Bike, for her the following criteria:

Hybrid
Ladies step through
Not too wacky looking
Nice colour
Comfortable
Mud guards - rack - stand
Be able to ride in very low assistance mode, until hills or head wind
We dont need to go fast av 12-14mph (so I can keep up)
Not too heavy, as I have to lift it onto a roof rack

Looking around only on the internet at this stage this looks to fit the bill, just a bit more money than I had in mind:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/s...-electric-hybrid-bike-706387#colcode=70638769

Is there any points that I may have missed, that you think I should have in mind?
I would like to buy from a local bike shop at that sort of money, to try an make sure we get the right bike.

Well I have drivelled on for long enough :smile:
Thanks for any comments, tips or advice,
Alex

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

It looks lighter than a lot of e-bikes, but I bet it still weighs close to 15 kg. Would that be light enough?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi guys,
I was looking for a bit of advice and thoughts if possible please.
I am thinking of starting the "approval" process :smile: with my wife to get her an E Bike.

I do a fair bit more cycling than see does, she is busy doing most the looking after our 3 year grandson.
I ride with the local cycling club in the week, and we go out at the weekend together.
She is good for 30-35 miles at a very steady av 8-10mph, but the hills take out any enjoyment after a while.

We have had a good weeks cycling in Norfolk, which I picked for obvious reasons :smile:
We would like to try some more cycling holidays, of course I want her to enjoy it and not dread the hills or head winds.
She currently rides a Ridgeback hybrid.

Sorry that's a lot of background.

I was going to try and persuade her on to an E Bike, for her the following criteria:

Hybrid
Ladies step through
Not too wacky looking
Nice colour
Comfortable
Mud guards - rack - stand
Be able to ride in very low assistance mode, until hills or head wind
We dont need to go fast av 12-14mph (so I can keep up)

Looking around only on the internet at this stage this looks to fit the bill, just a bit more money than I had in mind:
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/s...-electric-hybrid-bike-706387#colcode=70638769

Is there any points that I may have missed, that you think I should have in mind?
I would like to buy from a local bike shop at that sort of money, to try an make sure we get the right bike.

Well I have drivelled on for long enough :smile:
Thanks for any comments, tips or advice,
Alex

You talk about what you want and trying to persuade your wife to buy an ebike.

What does she want?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Ribble Hybrid ALe Step Through 13.75Kg?

1656267029657.png

ALe - available with guards, rack etc, Mahle X35 system. Motor in rear hub.

A colleague at work had his & hers Raleigh Motuses and wouldn’t shut up about how good they were.
Might be worth a look.

https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/motus/low-step/

That one weighs 24.5 kg, which would be a real lump to hoist up onto the roof of the car!

I know a couple with the same his/hers. They are heavier sure but the batteries are detacheable to lighten it for lifting, they also use a low loader towbar mounted carrier so no lifting onto roof.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It looks lighter than a lot of e-bikes, but I bet it still weighs close to 15 kg. Would that be light enough?

I've got a 20kg tandem and lift that into the roof ok. I'm no hercules either. 15kg for a normal bike would be ok, albeit not ideal I think.

The height and reach of your wife.

I found when looking intensively last year, that there is not as much 'adjustability' - for want of a better word - with e-bikes as with non-e-bikes. Especially if she uses a small frame size, she needs to try the thing comprehensively for comfort. Bearing in mind that the idea with an e-bike is to go out for longer, and ride further, comfort is even more important than on a non-e-bike.
If she is 'hard to fit' but comfortable on the conventional bike she uses now, you might want to consider a conversion kit.

I am the same sort of cyclist as the OP, happy at 16-17mph average on my road bike for 30-40 miles on a typical run. I am 71. But unlike the OP we live in Norfolk! My wife's hip and back began to play up so last year I felt it was time for an ebike for her. I recce'd the options and the local market, and I was smitten by the Raleigh Motus Gran Tour (low step version) after a few hundred yards and the first hill. She liked it, I bought it. As she is small we got the small frame and 26" wheels, but it's fine for me, 5' 10", over 20+ miles.

It is heavyish, but that doesn't matter in the least as it has a motor! Brilliant range, beautifully finished. It rides like a dream, smoothly like a magic carpet. Effortless on hills, so I struggle to keep up with her then. It has a very upright ride which has solved her back problem, and allows me to enjoy the view when I ride it. The stem is adjustable for reach and height, and the saddle post is secured by a QR... all very simple. I got the hub version rather than the derailleur. It's not cheap at £2500 but is worth every penny. It is very undergeared, especially for Norfolk, though strangely the derailleur version is higher geared. I changed the rear sprocket from 22T to 18T and it is transformed for the better. It took me 20 minutes to change the sprocket and take out one link... and all for the princely sum of £7.

As someone said already a towbar bike carrier would solve the transport question. My son lifts his tandem onto his SUV.

I've just looked at eBay and Gumtree... Plenty of examples, often with very low mileage, and most under 2 years old. One or two are suspect... For example being described as 2019 when the shape is clearly much older, or "missing the key" (which often means stolen). Most look great to me.

Good luck. Let us know what you get please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom