Toys Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
shabaz-holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
I think I did Toys Hill, certainly did Ide Hill on a VERY wet day that was meant to be a group ride from another forum (I dare not speak it's name here ;-)) When the weather turned only 2 other people turned up! It was so wet that the surrounding fields where saturated and had turned the roads into streams :-D

IIRC it's certainly good fun however I was out driving (for work, needed to deliver a full computer) around Caterham-on-the-hill and my Satnav solution had avoided all the queues on some amazing looking hills in this valley area :-D Think I might be a bit wrong in the head as I'm driving up a road thinking "Damn I need to cycle this...."

Panter

Just call me Chris...
OK, it's an old thread but...

Toy's Hill is very steep, but an even steeper one is Hollingbourne Hill, just past Maidstone, which just grinds on for over a mile, higher & higher, and then has several bits past 15%. For a ride last year, that had everyone apart from me & dellzeqq walking!

Not sure I agree on this one. It's a vicious bugger, but I cycle up most of it on my commute, I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Toys?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Anyone ever ridden that nasty one down near Cheddar Gorge? Havent been there for a while so forgive my loose description.. it was a b***ard that I saw about 5 cyclists ride up some 8-10 years back (Family day out, hiking in boots was bad enough), single lane and went between two lamb farms. A good 18% or higher in places, and for a good mile.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Toys is on my hitlist. Did Titsey hill a few weeks ago and thought that was bad enough. It's not far from Toys... dunno how it compares?
On Strava Titsey the full version is a Cat 3 the Strava link above for Toys I think is only a partial.

Working my way around and up to Titsey.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
On Strava Titsey the full version is a Cat 3 the Strava link above for Toys I think is only a partial.

Working my way around and up to Titsey.
First time it will smack you in the face. I got the start completely wrong and had to stop half way up the rest of it for a breather. Still managed to catch a guy in front of me though :smile:

A good climb is one in Woldingham http://app.strava.com/segments/610455

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Yeah, I notice only you and I have ridden that one Gaz, from the CC group on there. You're not showing up on the other segment I linked though. Assume you turned off before the RAB or turned back to go down it?
I went left at the roundabout which leads down to the segment I linked to above but going down the hill, not something I would recommend as it is pretty steep, there is a very tight bend near the bottom and the road conditions are pretty bad. Going up it's not so bad.

Bassjunkieuk

Veteran
Titsey is good fun, I did try going down it once but the road surface sent some rather scarey vibrations through the wheel and handlebars so I ditched bailed partway down and went up White Lane :eek: Feck me that had my lungs screaming.....climbs back up to pretty much the same level as the top of Titsey in about 1/4 the distance!! Think it is used for the Catford (?) CC Hill Climb.

Once when I did Titsey Hill there where temp traffic lights just at the steep bit, it's not fun trying to clip back in AND keep upright when riding off in 30x23....

Anyway seeing as we seem to now be playing name that hill you simply MUST try Westerham Hill if your down that area :-)

Top Bottom