Toys Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Not commuting as such but couldn't find anywhere else to post this. Just been for a cycle out round Chartwell in Kent and looking at the map, Toys Hill looked the way to come home. Well having climbed Puddledock Lane and thinking that was a bit tough to climb I then turned left onto Toys Hill. It was like running into a wall!!! I've got no idea what gradient it is but believe me it wasn't fun! It's certainly the toughest hill I've faced in the south.

Reactions: gaz
Its just a Toy hill ;-) your links not working btw :smile:

theboytaylor

Hahaha! Come ride Hell of the Ashdown in January then.
+1. But wrap up warm!

Although in this case I get the impression Martin was coming up it from the 4 Elms side, towards the A25 which, as well as being even more of a stinker IMO, is the opposite direction to the one HotA takes.

Actually, next time you should try Ide Hill instead. It's loads easier.............:tongue:

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
+1. But wrap up warm!

Although in this case I get the impression Martin was coming up it from the 4 Elms side, towards the A25 which, as well as being even more of a stinker IMO, is the opposite direction to the one HotA takes.

Actually, next time you should try Ide Hill instead. It's loads easier.............:tongue:
I was coming that way. I tend to just look at a street type map to plan my route. I knew there would be a hill but....
still it's a fading memory now, may extended my training ride to do it regularly

Toy's Hill is very steep, but an even steeper one is Hollingbourne Hill, just past Maidstone, which just grinds on for over a mile, higher & higher, and then has several bits past 15%. For a ride last year, that had everyone apart from me & dellzeqq walking!

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Toy's Hill is very steep, but an even steeper one is Hollingbourne Hill, just past Maidstone, which just grinds on for over a mile, higher & higher, and then has several bits past 15%. For a ride last year, that had everyone apart from me & dellzeqq walking!

Adam, any idea how steep Toys Hill is? I remember passing a 10% sign on the way back down into Brasted and 10% was nowhere near what I'd climbed, it seemed a gentle descent in comparison...

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Definitely steeper than 10%! Looking at bikehike, it seems like the steepest bit peaks at about 14%. The trouble is, the road signs are never particularly accurate. One of my training hills, Bison Hill at Whipsnade is steeper than Ditchling, yet the council replaced the 15% sign with a 10% sign. :sad:

Ok I think I'll go with my own ratings. Shooters Hill is 0 cos I go up that every day. DItchling is a 2, the hill we went up on the way to East Wittering is a 1 and Toys Hill is a 3.

To be fair I found Ditchling a slog rather than a climb, happy for people to disagree.....

Top Bottom