TPCC ToB Tour Rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
P

PD 2009

Had an email from my friend at the organisers with the following quote in, and as I've just posted it on another forum, I thought I'd share it with you good people too!

"I am personally very proud that The Prostate Cancer Charity Tour Ride is taking part in Stoke-on-Trent and fully intend to show my support for the charity and the region by riding the 145km leg. Join in!"

That's from Mr Brian Rourke, so he's obviously up for the full 145k challenge. I feel slightly put to shame now :smile:

Ball

So who is/isn't doing this then? And would anyone like to try riding along in a group? I've never had the advantage or pleasure of doing this before. Obviously there will be hundreds, maybe thousands there on the day anyway but thought I'd ask.

aJohnson

Ball said:
So who is/isn't doing this then? And would anyone like to try riding along in a group? I've never had the advantage or pleasure of doing this before. Obviously there will be hundreds, maybe thousands there on the day anyway but thought I'd ask.

I'd like to enter, but so far I've only done 7miles on my road bike, done 60 on my mtb.

Ball

Shame we're so far apart or I'd have suggested doing a couple of training rides with you. I lack mileage too, I'm just starting to do some training now. Why not sign up for an audax ride or something?

OP
OP
P

PD 2009

On the other hand signing up may give you every incentive to get those training miles and get used to your bike. Don't forget you could always do it on your mountain bike, and at least the shorter Family Ride should be well within your capabilities ;)

zaid

Cheers PD!
Looks like a really nice part of the world, looking forward to it. :ohmy:

aJohnson

PD 2009 said:
On the other hand signing up may give you every incentive to get those training miles and get used to your bike. Don't forget you could always do it on your mountain bike, and at least the shorter Family Ride should be well within your capabilities :eek:

On the other hand though, I could be only be able to do 30miles by then, then it'd be a waste. ;) Need to be sure I can handle it.

Ball

Just wondering how anyone doing this is getting on with training and preparation? Mine was going fairly well until last week in which I only went on one ride and had a fair few boozy nights out :-s But its back to it this week, doing a 150km on Sunday, the following week heading to Fish Hill in the Cotswolds for some final hill training then should be all set.

OP
OP
P

PD 2009

I've hardly had any time to train recently, but I did treat myself to some new mitts and shoes recently :rolleyes: Hoping to get out at the end of the week/weekend, but the good think about the 20k ride is that it's a leisure ride, so you don't have to train too much to be able to take part! ;)

longwayround

I signed up for the 70km ride a little while ago, feeling quite sure that I'd not manage to get my fitness levels up to the necessary level for the Pro Ride in time.

I was rather disappointed that the bumf sent by the organisers didn't arrive until the day after the school summer holidays began (which makes it rather harder to twist people's arms for sponsorship) but the training plans have proven useful.

I actually decided to follow the training plan for the Pro Ride in order to stretch myself rather more and in order to see whether I might manage to do a longer ride next year. Until my wife went back to work last week I was managing to follow the plan very well but, squeezing a fifty mile ride in the time between her return from work and bed isn't so easy.

Anyway, to cut a long story medium, I've had a great time training for the ride and have completed tougher rides than that which I've signed up for while training. I hope to see some of you there.

zaid

Hi everyone, hope to see some of you tommorrow at the ride, too.
Good luck to all for what will hopefully be a fab day out. :biggrin:

Ball

So did anyone do this yesterday and enjoy it as much as I did?

My first ever sportif/audax ride and first time riding anywhere near this distance in one go, and I did it in 6 hours. I'd said to myself before I began that I'd be happy with anywhere under 8 hours so I was well pleased.

Funniest story of the day was a guy who thought that tube of lubrication grease that came in the free goody bag was an energy gel and as consequence gulped it down. I hope he's feeling OK today!

The route was stunning, the weather was good, and the organisation was unbeatable. After all the hype and perhaps myth, Gun Hill was nowhere near as bad as all that. The worst climb came later on, partly due to the surprise, having heard nothing about it. A nasty little climb, probably 15%-20% which hurt my weary legs.

Looking forward to hearing anyone else's feedback on the day as it was my first organised ride.

RedBike

I live in Leek (Northen most point of the route) and work just outside Stone. The homeward stretch of the route more or less follows my commute!

I can't wait to see how the pros get on with it!

Top Bottom