TPU inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Location
Felixstowe
I thought I'd see what the fuss was about and, when bought in bulk, the Cyclami ones weren't much more than the normal budget tubes I use. If nothing else, they'll take up less space in the saddle bag as spares.
1788276328160.jpeg
 

Binky

Veteran
New bike came with TPU tubes fitted so that's what I'm using and carry a couple of spares.

Question is about patching. The spares came with instant patches so in event of a puncture then possibility of sticking patch on.
However, unlike butyl tubes when if you get a puncture you can pump tubes up a reasonable amount to find a pin prick hole, with TPU tubes the advice is only minimally inflate when not installed in a wheel/tyre as otherwise they deform permanently.

So, how does one find a puncture on the roadside? At home be able to dunk in a bowl of water etc but oddly I don't carry one when out riding.

Hopefully this is a scenario I'll never need but always good to know.
 

VinSumRox

Über Member
Location
Scottish Borders
My new bike is due soon(this week I hope) and comes with TPU installed, Pirelli ones apparently. Anyway, I've bought some Cyclami ones same as sevenfourate to carry as spares. Metal valve stems although I'll only carry micro rocket pump on bike and just use track/electric at home.
Never tried TPU before so hopefully all good. They do come with instant patches to repair although I'm wondering how easy is it to find a leak on a TPU tube as apparently if you inflate to more than about 1 psi when not in a wheel/tyre they deform and are useless? My plan is to carry two spare TPU tubes on bike in downtube storage(it's a new Canyon) so I'm hoping roadside repairs won't be needed but you never know.

If they have been used in a tyre they will already have been stretched. I just pump them up to what feels reasonable and then search for leaks in a bowl of water. You have to be patient and they often have slow leak from damage rather than a fast stream of bubbles. I glue on patches.
This is on Tubolito or Schwalbe tpu tubes which are a bit thicker than the temu type ones.
 

Binky

Veteran
If they have been used in a tyre they will already have been stretched. I just pump them up to what feels reasonable and then search for leaks in a bowl of water. You have to be patient and they often have slow leak from damage rather than a fast stream of bubbles. I glue on patches.
This is on Tubolito or Schwalbe tpu tubes which are a bit thicker than the temu type ones.

Yes but doesn't the bowl of water spill when you're riding...
 
Top Bottom