Tracer trike Conversion from fixed to 6 gear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

The brain is willing but the flesh is weak, as the saying goes. In my none working days, I built two kit cars, built numerous 1/4 scale model aircraft & install a new 40hp diesel in our yacht. So I have done a bit. My bike mechanic is coming around later to look see, I'll report back to see what he says. couple of pictures attached. Just met the bike mechanic & he brought a selection of cassettes, IMO it can be done relatively simply, will post the pictures he took when I get them. :dance:
upload_2016-8-7_17-45-55.png

upload_2016-8-7_17-6-27.png

upload_2016-8-7_17-4-50.png

upload_2016-8-7_17-3-31.png

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

A few pictures from my past & Alistairs parts on my trike, just need something to connect the cassette to the existing gear clamp, with a male thread & flange if poss' could use an old hub turned down & bolted to the existing gear wheel, Bit tight for space to get correct alignment of chain. Sorry if I've overloaded the pics.
upload_2016-8-7_18-50-14.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-55-22.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-54-30.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-51-12.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-52-13.png

upload_2016-8-7_18-50-14.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-55-22.png
upload_2016-8-7_18-54-30.png

It is all down to the individual, the machine and the manufacturer

I am not being "funny", but this is a conversation I would have had before buying

The other alternative (depending on the cost of the conversion) would be to electrify the front end.

This would give an enhanced ability to pull away, and a low speed

However this is a personal choice and depends on the costs

Ajax Bay

Guru
Thanks for sharing those pictures and the insight into your experience/expertise. My single suggestion to you is that you'd be better with a 'corncob' block as with the chainwheel you say you've got space for, the 28t on the freehub block imaged will be of little use, given the terrain you've described it's going to be used on. See my earlier post for suggested sprocket values.
Best of self made luck.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Hi Ajax Bay
I'm 60 years behind on terminology, "corncob block" sounds like a home made backwoods pipe. Could you be a bit more specific? Maybe a picture.?
Incidentally my bike mechanic has given me permission to give him a plug. We have no prior involvement, did a search on google when someone on here mentioned bike mechanics & came up with Alistair. His web site address is http://www.cycletechsouthport.co.uk/ .

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

It is all down to the individual, the machine and the manufacturer

I am not being "funny", but this is a conversation I would have had before buying

The other alternative (depending on the cost of the conversion) would be to electrify the front end.

This would give an enhanced ability to pull away, and a low speed

However this is a personal choice and depends on the costs
I sold my mobility scooter to buy the trike, need the exercise, I know it's a long thread but the history of why I did what I did has been covered.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A few pictures from my past & Alistairs parts on my trike, just need something to connect the cassette to the existing gear clamp, with a male thread & flange if poss' could use an old hub turned down & bolted to the existing gear wheel, Bit tight for space to get correct alignment of chain. Sorry if I've overloaded the pics.
View attachment 138321 View attachment 138322 View attachment 138325 View attachment 138327 View attachment 138328
View attachment 138321 View attachment 138322 View attachment 138325
Nice 3 wheeler, Honda CX motor?

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

I've had a reply from the Australian company, basically they don't want to supply their back end, very nice letter, but since I've moved on from that idea, no problem.
What I've come up with overnight is a method of hanging a six speed derailleur off my frame temporarily, & without wrecking it. I've asked Alistair to supply the derailleur, cassette, actuator & hub, then I would get a collar turned up minus the sprocket as the original, sized to mount the hub with the unwanted portion turned off & to fit the axle shaft & do a temporary hook up. If it works, all's well & good, I would then make it permanent, if it doesn't, it's a few bob down the toilet & kept my brain active.:unsure:

Ajax Bay

Guru
you'd be better with a 'corncob' block

What size cassette would you suggest to match the front chain wheel,
I'm 60 years behind on terminology, . "corncob block" sounds like a home made backwoods pipe. Could you be a bit more specific?
This terminology would be more familiar, perhaps, 60 years ago! A quick google search would've allowed you to discover this. AKA a 'straight block'.
From my post #4 (to which I referred btw, in case you wanted detail): "a 14,15,16,17,18, 20 freewheel". One with mostly only one tooth steps. You've said you'll be cycling only the slightest of gradients and aren't "racing" so the range you will want is small.
But first I recommend you consider and then specify what range of gears you want. How much higher than your current 0.76 (18")? How much lower? @Tim Hall has interpreted the diameters to teeth (am surprised that you are not able to count them yourself btw) as a 26t sprocket and a 20t chainwheel.
I've produced a gear calculator for the 20t chainwheel and the freewheel above. Click on it and then you can fiddle around with it. The gear inches are at the top.
Finally, it may be that you'll find it easier to take an old, discarded half a hub (freehub driveside) from a wheel which is designed to take a cassette, rather than a freewheel (such as the one you've imaged), as this might be easier to fit to the current set up. There may be chain width issues if you do, though, as you're probably on 1/8" chain. And consider chainline as this will be aligned with your current sprocket and a 6sp freewheel will push the chainline well over on the small sprocket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

This terminology would be more familiar, perhaps, 60 years ago! A quick google search would've allowed you to discover this. AKA a 'straight block'.
From my post #4 (to which I referred btw, in case you wanted detail): "a 14,15,16,17,18, 20 freewheel". One with mostly only one tooth steps. You've said you'll be cycling only the slightest of gradients and aren't "racing" so the range you will want is small.
But first I recommend you consider and then specify what range of gears you want. How much higher than your current 0.76 (18")? How much lower? @Tim Hall has interpreted the diameters to teeth (am surprised that you are not able to count them yourself btw) as a 26t sprocket and a 20t chainwheel.
I've produced a gear calculator for the 20t chainwheel and the freewheel above. Click on it and then you can fiddle around with it. The gear inches are at the top.
Finally, it may be that you'll find it easier to take an old, discarded half a hub (freehub driveside) from a wheel which is designed to take a cassette, rather than a freewheel (such as the one you've imaged), as this might be easier to fit to the current set up. There may be chain width issues if you do, though, as you're probably on 1/8" chain. And consider chainline as this will be aligned with your current sprocket and a 6sp freewheel will push the chainline well over on the small sprocket.
Thanks for the information, now I have an experienced bike mechanic on board I'm hoping I won't fall into the pitfalls I might have done. The chain size & alignment have all been taken into account, as is the hub.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

When mentioning my engineering qualifications, I forgot to mention the Renault Trafic panel van I converted to a camper van between 2010 & 2011.
:huh:
upload_2016-8-8_16-59-26.png

upload_2016-8-8_17-1-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-8_17-2-15.png
    upload_2016-8-8_17-2-15.png
    363.1 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom