Track bikes - what gear sizes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I imagine they run on 100" or something...

...also is it possible to make a track bike which can easily be put onto the road (guess this means a tyre change and whacking on a front brake).

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I run a bike which, with a tyre change and a front brake (It has a flip-off lever) is at home on manchester velodrome. I'm running 48*14 which is quite suitable for the track and my flatish 13 mile commute across manchester. I make sure it's clean before I go down the velodrome though.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Depends what track it is. Some are easier then others. The one near me, i could just turn my back wheel around(use the gear i use when i do a TT) and go on it. I dont know if i could do the track leage like this because of my front brake, but it wouldnt take long for me to take that off.
But due to the track near me not being fast, my TT gear would be fine on there, bit spinny(bit too spinny on TTs aswell, even though there are a few uphill sections)
Arent some tracks abit funny if your fork is drilled aswell?

Will1985

Über Member
Anybody know if Manchester is picky about the Miche sprocket system? Might only be a rumour I've heard as it still uses a lockring.

I'm pretty sure Manchester is also selective about tyres - and they need to be scrubbed down before first use anyway.

Top Bottom