Track frame/bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I'm looking for recommendations - for use on track only, not a poncy 'fixie' or a SS for road use - I'm already got them! :ohmy:

I'm not sure whether to go for a complete bike or get a frame and buy bits to attach to it.....any recommendations for bikes/frames/bits?

I'd probably stretch to about 800 quid total cost. But a decent bike at a cheaper price would be better :ohmy:

I am at your experienced mercy :ohmy:

I'd be tempted by Dolan pre-cursa. However i can't ever own one otherwise my bike museum will be too similar to the TTcycle gallery!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
ahah -I have the Dolan precursa - it's about £550 without brake.

You know Noodley,I've had in since October and not had the chance to try it out but yet!!!! It's made well and comes under budget

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

I saw a pre-cursa last weekend and quite liked it - my only concern was the paint looked like it might mark very easily. I can't think why but that was the thing which sprung to mind when I saw it. :ohmy: Is it quite a polished finish or is it a matt finish? That's maybe what it was...a matt finish?

Young Un

Or you could try the next model up and try the Dolan Track Champion which is around 850! Always cheaper to buy a complete track bike because of all the hipsters in London. I also own a pre-cursa and it will be more than enough for you! Even some of the pro's still use them, so they must be good! Go for the tub option though - soo much nicer to ride the boards on tubs than on clinchers!

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
it is a beautiful matt finish on the frame but yes you're right it does mark easily,just one of those things unfortunately

Young Un

Noodley said:
That's what I was thinking!

Bloody cheek. :evil:

Also, bloody true :laugh:

I'm 15 and use if for sprinting and even I can't get it to flex...I'm sure it will be adequete for your needs is a better way of putting it? :evil:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Young Un said:
Always cheaper to buy a complete track bike because of all the hipsters in London....

Is this as true for a proper track bike as with a fixed?

I had hoped I could pick up some 'bargains' in sales and/or speaking nicely to LBS (plus 15% club discount) if I took the frame plus bits option. I might even get 15% club discount on full bike if he can do it...

Come to think of it what would the 'bits' be? Frame, fork, fork bung, headset, seat post, seat clamp, saddle, stem, bars, tape, wheels, tyres, chainset, cog. Is that it? Or am I missing something obvious?

Bits:
- Frame
- Forks
- Fork Bung/expander thing
- Headset
- Headset spacers
- Stem
- Handlebars
- Handlebar tape
- Electrical tape (for ends of bar tape)
- Gel pads for under the tape (optional)
- Cable end thingies to stop fraying
- Brakes (optional front)
- Brake cable (optional front)
- Brake lever (optional front)
- Seatpost collar
- Seatpost
- Saddle
- Bottom bracket
- Chainset
- Pedals
- Chain
- Casette
- Wheels (Front & Rear) incl skewers
- Tyres x2
- Inner tubes x2
- Rim tape

You asked!

Noodley said:
That's worse! It makes me sound like Godfrey from Dad's Army :evil:

Or Fletch from Poridge!

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Just spotted the Planet X Carbon track frame - anyone have an opinion on it? Maybe a bit too bling :evil:

Noodley said:
Just spotted the Planet X Carbon track frame - anyone have an opinion on it? Maybe a bit too bling :evil:

No such thing. Just make sure you compliment with the gold chains (neck or bike). Trust me, you'll be ahead of the times. Come the A-Team movie all the 15 year olds will be blinged up.

Youngun...The A-team used to be a popular tv show :evil:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Newport and Manchester both sometimes sell off track irons. Would be worth looking.

Top Bottom