Track pump revelation.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
A track pump regularly features at or very near the top of any list of 'I've bought a bike, what should I get next ?' - usually just after padded shorts ! ^_^

[Google Chrome - Settings - bottom of page Show Advanced Settings - scroll down Languages - Language and Input Settings - English United Kingdom (aka Great British Queens Proper English and None Of That Foreign Muck). If English UK is not there, you will need to Add it as a language :ohmy:, then set it as above :thumbsup:]

broadway

Veteran
Not sure, but I think you may have misunderstood me. Track pumps sold for mountain bikes have fatter barrels so as to pump bigger volumes at lower pressures so they are a real struggle when trying to achieve 100 psi on a road tyre. For road bikes you need a thinner barrel or muscles like a gorilla.

I've not seen a MTB track pump, have you an example?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Joe Blow MTB pump (rated to 75psi)
topeak-tjb-mt1-med.jpg

Joe Blow normal (rated to 160psi)
topeak-tjb-s5-zoom.jpg

The pressure gauge is helpful for comparing the barrel sizes. Not exactly an enormous difference, admittedly.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Not sure, but I think you may have misunderstood me. Track pumps sold for mountain bikes have fatter barrels so as to pump bigger volumes at lower pressures so they are a real struggle when trying to achieve 100 psi on a road tyre. For road bikes you need a thinner barrel or muscles like a gorilla.

Ah, yes I misunderstood. The Serfas pump I got was getting quite hard to push at 80. I'm not entirely sure if it's mtb or road specific or a sort of in the middle general type of a thing. It says it's rated for 160psi but I rarely believe these things. I would be happy to use it up to about 110/115 despite its claims for higher capacity and I think I'd have strength to get it there. Or the weight at least.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Any mathematicians around? I bet a few mm smaller diameter would make a huge difference to the effort required to push the piston.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Any mathematicians around? I bet a few mm smaller diameter would make a huge difference to the effort required to push the piston.

I agree. This is definitely the case. You'd be pumping in less air per stroke but it would be easier. Like gears but made of air, or pump. Something. My pump didn't seem to make claims either way. Ah, it's a hybrid pump...maybe.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Stop thinking about it and pour yoursef a beer, Dude.

This is good advice and belongs at the bottom of many diagnostic (and other) flow charts.:cheers:

Top Bottom