Manchester Track Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D_97_goodtimes

Have booked a couple tickets for one of the sessions at the upcoming Track Cycling in Manchester in February.

Have watched it on the TV and fancied seeing it for real - sounds like a fun thing to do.

Buying the tickets - easy. The website has a link to useful information wrt trams and buses.

The brains of the team has researched parking, places to stay and travel options.

It seems that parking anywhere near the velodrome is both difficult and dangerous.

Places to stay seem plentiful and range from the cheap and cheerful to the laughingly expensive.

Travel to and from the velodrome also has a number of options- we will probably use a tram from Ashton under Lyme.

However what began as a fun thing to do has become turn up, visit the event and then get the hell out of Manchester as quickly as we can.

We want to visit and we want to enjoy ourselves and feel safe.

So knowledgeable ones.

Are we right to be over cautious?

Is the event undermined by dubious online reports of tyre slashing, mugging and drugs?

13 rider

Guru
@DCLane I believe uses the track he may be able to offer advice

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@D_97_goodtimes - I ride and race at Manchester velodrome quite a lot, also at Derby velodrome, parking there on evenings and weekends over the winter.

I've never had issues with parking there. Previously for events they had parking organised at the Manchester City Edihad stadium, so that's a possibility as it's about a 10-minute walk. However, I usually just park at the velodrome itself.

And I'd always recommend you have a go yourself. You never know, you may take a liking to it :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Have done a couple of taster sessions there and did absolutely love it, even if I didn't know what I was doing.

Can imagine it would be good to spectate but can second the advice to have a go in person.

Used to go quite regularly to the velodrome. Never had any issues. There's a lot of people going so safety in numbers. I'd not be concerned.

scragend

As @DCLane says, there is parking at the Velodrome itself, right outside the front door. I've never felt unsafe there. East Manchester isn't the Wild West... well not quite 😉

As for somewhere to stay overnight, maybe look eastwards into Derbyshire if you don't want to stay in Manchester.

I assume you are going to the national track championships towards the end of February? At the bigger events you are unlikely going to be able to park at the velodrome itself as it’s full of the vehicles for the teams and officials. However, as said earlier, they usually open up parking at the Etihad stadium.

I’ve been numerous times and never had an issue. There is always plenty of people around.

Sharky

Guru
Distant memory now, but our club run at the time went to the old Manchester track (Fallowfield) to watch the racing, including Brenden Mckown winning the individual pursuit race. Must have been the 1967 or 68 national pursuit championship, but despite googling, can't find any specific info back to the event.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jump onto the tram into the city centre. Quite a few good Travel Lodges and Premier Inns if you dont want to pay £150.

You'll be fine for parking. I think they also open up the Asda car park and Etihad car parks for events.

The only problems I've ever had is going to big concerts there. Loads of third party car parks open, but it can take an hour or more to get out of the area due to shere numbers. There usually isn't enough trams and the new massive co-op live arena opens soon. I tend to go to concerts in the city centre and stay over in a hotel despite only living 10 miles away. We make a day of it.

Top Bottom