Track Pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Lidl pump is good for a fiver - on mine, the pump head began to leak after a couple of months. A friend's had a more serious failure in which the two parts of the pump body separated at speed...

I gave up on cheap pumps and went for a Rennkompressor (£35 ish from Parkers at the time) which is excellent. The Specialized "Comp" track pump got top honours in C+ recent test, as I recall.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I bought a good second hand track pump from the carboot 3 years ago for 2 pounds.

MajorMantra

l4dva said:
dose anyone know if this one from tesco is any good?
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2178.aspx

I've got one of those. It won't get anywhere near the advertised pressure but if you sweat and swear a lot you can get a road tyre to 70PSI which is enough to get you home. I think I paid just over £4 in store.

By the way, they don't come with any instructions from Tesco but if you use Presta valves you have to unscrew the cap thingy and reverse the bits inside to get the correct size hole to go over the valve.

Matthew

MajorMantra

l4dva said:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Topeak_Master_Blaster_Mini_Pump_With_Gauge/5220000079/

Will this one be any better? I'm basically after something for my road bike so it needs to reach 100 psi minimum, would most likely need a gauge as well but I don't want to spend a more than £15/20 if I can help it, if thats possible at all?!?!

Do you really need 100psi from a mini pump? Personally I'm happy with a track pump at home to get the tyres to the correct pressure, and the crappy mini pump (and a CO2 canister if I'm feeling lazy) for emergencies. I certainly wouldn't use a mini pump as my only pump if that's what you're thinking - surely a recipe for frustration.

Matthew

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
+1 for that - track pump to get tyres to correct pressure, you just can't do it with a mini pump (voice of experience talking - I foolishly thought it was a good idea to have just one small pump). Minipump for emergencies - I have a SKS Wese, and have just bought one of those posey 55gm Topeak Carbon ones, (in the sale at Condor) which will fit into a jersey pocket, and seems to work pretty well too, but is nowhere near as efficient as a track pump.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
l4dva said:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Topeak_Master_Blaster_Mini_Pump_With_Gauge/5220000079/

Will this one be any better? I'm basically after something for my road bike so it needs to reach 100 psi minimum, would most likely need a gauge as well but I don't want to spend a more than £15/20 if I can help it, if thats possible at all?!?!
Beware of those maximum pressure ratings, they do not mean what most people think they mean. The stated 140psi is what the pump will take without splitting the barrell or blowing the seals, NOT what you can get into the tyre.

l4dva

Guru
Didn't realise the the amounts they state on them aren't actually acheivable.
I may look into getting an electric car pump with an adaptor for presta values in that case, and a cheap mini for the road. Thanks!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
l4dva said:
I may look into getting an electric car pump with an adaptor for presta values in that case, and a cheap mini for the road. Thanks!
If you want a cheap take along pump, and have bottle cage mounts on your bike, either the Topeak Road Morph G, or Specialized Air Tool Road would be a good bet. Both can be relied on to get tyres to high pressure (I've done 120 with the road morph, which has a gauge, and 100 (checked with a track pump) with the Air Tool Road (doesn't have a gauge, use your thumb)). I have no trouble at all believing both pumps would have kept going past those pressures.

The Road Morph used to be available for around £22 from eBay, although the weak pound may have put paid to that - UK rrp is £29. The Air Tool costs an almost ridiculous (considering how effective it is) £10 (uk rrp £11). Both have long slim barrels that make inflating high pressure tyres much easier. Bear in mind that whilst your mini pump may get you to 100psi, it's moving much less air per stroke, so you'll be working hard to get to those pressures.

Top Bottom