Track Racing - CC members

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I looked and couldn't find a thread for those CC members who race track. So here one is ...

Currently I'm going through accreditation at Manchester, but choosing to take my time. So tonight I took the chance to race at Scunthorpe's Quibell Park.

This week saw the return of track racing to Scunthorpe and the debut of a novice rider, just a 49 year-old one. I joined group B with the other 3rd and 4th category riders - Elite/1st/2nd's go into group A.

It turned out there were two novices making their debut this evening: one lady and one male rider. Deliberately starting at the back of the group my first race was an E/1/2/3/4 10 lap scratch race and a baptism of fire in terms of the pace; I finished about 18th out of 25. Then followed 9th (scratch)/ 8th(devil)/ 8th (points) places in the 15-rider group B as I started to get a bit more comfortable in the mix, with points on the board then 11th in the E/1/2/3/4/U16 15 lap scratch race at the end. The aims of not crashing and not last were achieved. There were a couple of close calls when one rider moved wildly without looking, but otherwise I felt more confident as the evening went on.

The only downside? I got lapped by my 14yo in the final race as he went round with the 1st and 2nd cat riders :huh:

Have we any other track-riding CC'ers?

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Track was something I always wanted to do. I did ride our club track championships back in 1967/8 at the now defunct Bootle track and really enjoyed it. Rode nearly every event but didn't win anything. Not surprising really as I was a bit tired, having ridden a 25 in the morning!
Always thought I would have a more serious go at it, but down in Kent, the nearest track was Herne Hill and the logistics of getting there without a car in those days was a bit too much.

Top Bottom