Track Racing - CC members

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by DCLane, 18 May 2019.

Tags:
  1. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

I looked and couldn't find a thread for those CC members who race track. So here one is ...

Currently I'm going through accreditation at Manchester, but choosing to take my time. So tonight I took the chance to race at Scunthorpe's Quibell Park.

This week saw the return of track racing to Scunthorpe and the debut of a novice rider, just a 49 year-old one. I joined group B with the other 3rd and 4th category riders - Elite/1st/2nd's go into group A.

It turned out there were two novices making their debut this evening: one lady and one male rider. Deliberately starting at the back of the group my first race was an E/1/2/3/4 10 lap scratch race and a baptism of fire in terms of the pace; I finished about 18th out of 25. Then followed 9th (scratch)/ 8th(devil)/ 8th (points) places in the 15-rider group B as I started to get a bit more comfortable in the mix, with points on the board then 11th in the E/1/2/3/4/U16 15 lap scratch race at the end. The aims of not crashing and not last were achieved. There were a couple of close calls when one rider moved wildly without looking, but otherwise I felt more confident as the evening went on.

The only downside? I got lapped by my 14yo in the final race as he went round with the 1st and 2nd cat riders :huh:

Have we any other track-riding CC'ers?

Last edited: 18 May 2019
  2. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Track was something I always wanted to do. I did ride our club track championships back in 1967/8 at the now defunct Bootle track and really enjoyed it. Rode nearly every event but didn't win anything. Not surprising really as I was a bit tired, having ridden a 25 in the morning!
    Always thought I would have a more serious go at it, but down in Kent, the nearest track was Herne Hill and the logistics of getting there without a car in those days was a bit too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice