Track racing, Rio 2016 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I still think that the Olympics and Paralympics would both be improved by having one, much longer event with everything thrown into the mix.
What, like having wheelchair rugby played on the velodrome whilst they ride the Madison?

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Women's and mens' C4 - C5 road races on, with Sarah Storey & Crystal Lane going in the women's and the amazing dancing Metelka going in the men's - AND NO COVERAGE! Have they only covered the road events with a finish line camera?

Kadeena Cox DNS in the women's, which is a shame - hamstring injury.

Great ride by Stone in the men's T1 - T2 to hold on to silver ahead of Nestor Ayala, who was given the same time, and Alex Zanardi picked up another gold...

Last edited:

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
What, like having wheelchair rugby played on the velodrome whilst they ride the Madison?

I have a vision of a Rollerball style event with riders tagging in wheelchair users while they're all hurtling round.

Alternatively, they could put the murder ball match in the track centre among all the corporate hospitality, while they're trying to eat...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Have they only covered the road events with a finish line camera?

Kadeena Cox DNS in the women's, which is a shame - hamstring injury.
The finish line seems to be all we're getting, I'm afraid.

Shame Cox strained her hamstring. Perhaps that's a danger when she competes in different sports.

Hope Medelka wins, just for the dance and the big grin!

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Just had an update - they obviously only have finish line coverage. The women's race is about half way through and there's a two woman breakaway with the peloton, including Storey and Lane, about 40 seconds behind. The clip they just showed of the end of the second lap didn't look as though the peloton was in a hurry to reel anyone in yet.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I still think that the Olympics and Paralympics would both be improved by having one, much longer event with everything thrown into the mix.

Thinking about it they have combined for the Commonwealth games - at Glasgow there were 22 para sports, and I think there are going to be more in 2018.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
6km to go and Storey has about a minute lead.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I was out but just discovered she's taken her 14th gold. 3:29 ahead of silver and 6:16 ahead of Crystal Lane (bronze). Ooh and a bit of naughty argy bargy at the end of the men's race.

Well, Channel 4 lost interest in keeping us informed anyway. Not sure what you mean by argy-bargy but there was a crash in the women's race (which Storey wasn't involved in)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Well, Channel 4 lost interest in keeping us informed anyway. Not sure what you mean by argy-bargy but there was a crash in the women's race (which Storey wasn't involved in)
The Channel4 watch live stream covers it. There's an exclamation mark for where it's covered. It was the men's C4-5 road race. There were 2 on the front (Donohoe AUS and a demented Dementev UKR) with the Ukrainian trying to squeeze Donohoe into the barriers. Both went down about 4 yards from the finish but Donohue got up and ran over the line. Abraham (NL) was the first to cross on his bike and was awarded gold. Dementev was disqualified and Donohoe must have nipped back and got his bike because he was awarded 5th place, 55 seconds after Abraham had nicked it.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I've just seen it on +1 - quite extraordinary. Appropriate name, Dementyev, though Donohoe was fighting hard as well. I think the red mist descended on both of them, to be honest.

C4 were suggesting the Ukrainian would be relegated and the Australian given the gold, but the results are shown as final on the Rio 2016 site and Abraham Gebru's shown as the winner with Lauro Chaman second and Andrea Tarlao third, Donohoe 5th and I guess Dementyev DQ'd (and taken off on a stretcher into the bargain).

I've just tried to find the time stamp in the live stream to link it here, but I'm finding the live stream is freezing my browser so I've given up. It is tagged with a big yellow splotch on the live stream though as you say.

edit - they've also put up a clip of it at http://paralympics.channel4.com/highlights/finish-line-crash-causes-contoversy-men-road-race/ but the clip doesn't really start early enough to see the initial blocking that led up to it.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've just seen it on +1 - quite extraordinary. Appropriate name, Dementyev, though Donohoe was fighting hard as well. I think the red mist descended on both of them, to be honest.

C4 were suggesting the Ukrainian would be relegated and the Australian given the gold, but the results are shown as final on the Rio 2016 site and Abraham Gebru's shown as the winner with Lauro Chaman second and Andrea Tarlao third, Donohoe 5th and I guess Dementyev DQ'd (and taken off on a stretcher into the bargain).

I've just tried to find the time stamp in the live stream to link it here, but I'm finding the live stream is freezing my browser so I've given up. It is tagged with a big yellow splotch on the live stream though as you say.

edit - they've also put up a clip of it at http://paralympics.channel4.com/highlights/finish-line-crash-causes-contoversy-men-road-race/ but the clip doesn't really start early enough to see the initial blocking that led up to it.
From the little we've been able to see, Donohoe held his line - if he hadn't counter blocked the Ukrainian he'd have ended up in the crash barriers. He didn't deserve a DQ, IMO, at least from what there was to see. Madness though!

Top Bottom