Track racing, Rio 2016 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I'm not sure there's much more coverage than from a static camera at the finish line - at least that's all I've seen yet (short excerpts of Rolfe - 7th - and Storey - gold - finishing).
:sad:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Kadeena Cox takes another gold, despite forgetting to bring her bike. 400m world record on the track.

And now her roommate, Darke, has won a gold in the handcycling.

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Did I read on here or elsewhere that the reason Cox fought for the right to enter both cycling and track & field is because she is worried that her condition (MS) will deteriorate to such a extent over the next few years that she may not be able to compete in Tokyo?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Did I read on here or elsewhere that the reason Cox fought for the right to enter both cycling and track & field is because she is worried that her condition (MS) will deteriorate to such a extent over the next few years that she may not be able to compete in Tokyo?
I think I've heard the same thing on Channel 4. She doesn't know how long she will be able to compete for so she's going for it. And getting it....

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Duggleby & Bates take gold in the tandem TT. It's getting boring now.....

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy

Yes - she said she couldn't be sure how her body would be in four years, so she was doing as much as possible while she was sure she could.

It was noticeable that her ability varied quite a lot - at times she seemed to walk quite ably, at other times - notably when going to her bike before her gold - that she seemed to be having quite some difficulty, and not just due to cleats.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Duggleby & Bates take gold in the tandem TT. It's getting boring now.....

Adam Hills on the Last Leg was talking about seeing Australia picking up a gold or two and being quite pleased, then being depressed when he saw the Paralympics GB results before the programme - "it's just gold after gold after gold"

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Adam Hills on the Last Leg was talking about seeing Australia picking up a gold or two and being quite pleased, then being depressed when he saw the Paralympics GB results before the programme - "it's just gold after gold after gold"
I know, GB is now up to 50 golds. Of countries that have surprised me by surpassing what I would have expected, Brazil are currently standing in 8th, with 10 golds and 25 silvers. Maybe all the negative trailers about funding and Brazilian organisation shaped my expectations but I'm happy to see them doing well.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I know, GB is now up to 50 golds. Of countries that have surprised me by surpassing what I would have expected, Brazil are currently standing in 8th, with 10 golds and 25 silvers. Maybe all the negative trailers about funding and Brazilian organisation shaped my expectations but I'm happy to see them doing well.

Absolutely. I think whatever the organisational issues they've really got behind the athletes, probably helped by several Brazilian Paralympians being real stars in their home country, more so even than the top Paralympians are over here. I think I heard it said that more tickets have been sold for the Paralympics than were sold for the Olympics. GB (and other nations) have probably been helped by the Russian absence though.

One thing I thought was really good were the mixed events; wheelchair rugby, for example, or the mixed teams in the 1 km team time trial. Like to see more of that in able bodied sport, though perhaps it's facilitated by the points system so I might be being naive.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I still think that the Olympics and Paralympics would both be improved by having one, much longer event with everything thrown into the mix.

Yes. I seem to remember the reason they don't is not for competition but for organisational reasons - there's a feeling it'd make the event too unwieldy, housing all the competitors is an issue, it'd need more venues and the IPC are sensitive about their own branding, so all the signs, banners, etc. all have to be redone to change Olympic to Paralympic branding. Obviously all the conversion of venues, signage, branding etc. takes quite a while.

Top Bottom