Track-Stand, any learning tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Is it better to start from a standstill, leaning against a wall?
or slow right down until you come to a stop?

I've tried both, havnt managed it yet.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
are you doing it on a fixie or non-fixie?

I can do it on my road bike if conditions are perfect, a slight gradient. but it's still hard and sometimes i have to bail, so i always leave enough space in front of me to roll maybe a meter and get my balance back and put a foot down.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If your doing it on fixed, I learned by setting pedals just right, turning wheel toward the leading foot, and then placing bike with front wheel in the corner of my bedroom. Then I'd get on the bike, then let the bike roll back out of the corner a few inches as controlled as possible with a lot of weight on the top of the bars, then push back forward touching the wall. Repeat over and over until could back out then back in but with minimal wall support, then eventualy could just roll out of the corner and just stand there.

After I got the hang of it I was trackstanding, and finding id been moving closer and closer to the bed with the small movements back and forth and had to bunnyhop it away from the bed and could maintain the track stand between small hops. It took me like a week to learn spending something like 15-20 mins a day. Its a bit different on the street and I fail now and then, but all in all its quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Oh and once I got the hang of it, I didnt need to apply much weight to the bars anymore and could even 1 hand it for short periods.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
I don't think SWMBO would be amused if I brought the fixed up to the bedroom.;)

Actually I don't think she'd be amused if any of our bikes (hers or mine, geared or otherwise) made it to the bedroom.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I have 2 bikes in my bedroom, and one in my office at work, haha!

Any corner will do ;) Once a corner wasnt needed, I did it in the living room watching tv, or looking out of the window at the traffic (so I learned to focus on other things while doing it, rather than staring down at my wheels)

It feels odd but once you get it, you will just get it and you will wonder what all the fuss is about. Ive been practicing doing it sitting in the saddle lately.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The team estrogen page was where I got the idea to use the corner of my bedroom, much like she uses a bench. Its an excellent read.

Cant trackstand on a geared bike though, fixed is MUCH easier to do it on.

Top Bottom