Track Standing at the Lights - Cool or Stoopid?

Tack Standing - Cool or Stoopid?

• Yeah Kool!!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No, you look a twunt

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Only on a fixie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only if they can do it better than me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So track standing at the lights.

I can't do it for toffee so I'm inclined to say stoopid especially if you haven't quite got the hang of it - where you track stand for all it's worth, turning your front wheel side-to-side like billy-o and then losing it just before the lights turn green.

However, a stock-still stand on a fixie kinda looks cool.

Mr Phoebus

If you're really confident. The thought of screwing it up and someone getting £250 off Lisa Reilly, is a bit too much to bare.;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Disgruntled Goat said:
I can't do it for toffee so I'm inclined to say stoopid

There's the thing. If you can do it, it's cool. If you can't, envy dictates you think those who can are stoopid...;)

(I can't, BTW. Acutally, I think, like DG, that a good stand is cool, while anything involving wobbling about is pointless - you may as well just put the foot down... One of those things not worth doing unless you can make it look effortless...:biggrin:)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my mate can do it, we often wait at the lights together with him track standing and me with one foot out. usually i select a lower gear prior to stopping so we usually get away at about the same time anyway.

it is cool though ;)

Tetedelacourse

Arch;37326][quote name= said:
I can't do it for toffee so I'm inclined to say stoopid

There's the thing. If you can do it, it's cool. If you can't, envy dictates you think those who can are stoopid...;)

(I can't, BTW. Acutally, I think, like DG, that a good stand is cool, while anything involving wobbling about is pointless - you may as well just put the foot down... One of those things not worth doing unless you can make it look effortless...:biggrin:)[/QUOTE]

Or unless there's no-one else around:biggrin:

I think they are cool! I've only ever managed one rock-solid one and that was on Tuesday:thumbsup: but I don't even bother to try if anyone else is around:blush: yet;)

domtyler

Über Member
I am getting pretty efficient but am certainly not perfect like some people out there. For me I don't really care what it looks like, it's about not having to unclip, spin the wheel back to the right place as has to be done on a fixed wheel bike and then clip back in again before you can get going. This can be a real pain, especially coming into London against hundreds of bloody traffic lights.

Each set of traffic lights provides an opportunity to practice anyway, I am not really the type of person to practice doing it in the living room until perfected so you can just put up with my slight wobbling for another few months.

barq

Very cool when done well. I really struggle once I know someone is watching me. I have to convince myself that I'm not actually track standing, I'm just going very slowly - imperceptibly slowly. ;)

Bokonon

Über Member
Learning to track stand is somewhere on my to-do list. At the moment I find better things to do like eating, sleeping or actually going somewhere on my bike. In the mean time I make do with going very slowly at traffic lights, which is easy on a fixie.

Mr Phoebus

domtyler;37600][quote name= said:
loves traffic lights; so she can see the astonishment on peoples faces. ;):ohmy::ohmy:

Yeah I think I'll do that at the traffic lights from now on!! :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

Don't forget your cap to collect the money in.[/url]

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mr Phoebus said:
I bet this lady loves traffic lights; so she can see the astonishment on peoples faces. ;):ohmy::ohmy:

Wow. I don't know if it has a name, but that wheely-reverse-donutting type move near the end impressed me...

Well, it all did. Blimey. To think, I get a bit wobbly just riding on cobbles...

Top Bottom