Tracking your route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gps315

Über Member
Now this is not my commute but take a look at

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/17260014/

a friend pointed me to it a few days ago, great link up with iPhone and route tracking, thought you may be interested for sharing your commute into London. Am amazed at the speed and courage of the guys (and gals) shooting through town when i get up there.

Martin

NigC

I think there is a thread somewhere around here where others have posted their routes and I'm pretty sure a lot have used this site.

I remember I found that site about a year ago and it looked superb but suffered from a few bugs. But a recent revisit seems to show it's been improved and it looks like a really great route planing site ;)

Loads of these apps around now more phones have GPS in them.

If you have a Symbian based phone, Nokia SportsTracker is pretty good and all encompasing, can even allow people to track your trip live, doesn't take up much data. Had problems with my N95 GPS though (in all apps), and the N96 wasn't *that* much better either.

I'm currently testing some for Android so have yet to decide what I think is best yet.

Nike will be producing a HR monitor and adaptor for the iPhone so you'll be able to record your HR as well, though how many developers will add HR support into their app I'm not sure. Not that I would ever develop for a single platform single manufacturer phone.

Overall though, none of these are going to beat specific bike gps (garmin edge and all that). HR, CAD, Wheel Speed (Better than gps speed), barometric altitude etc, and... waterproof ;) (if you actually want to see the display).

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
drsquirrel said:
Loads of these apps around now more phones have GPS in them.

If you have a Symbian based phone, Nokia SportsTracker is pretty good and all encompasing, can even allow people to track your trip live, doesn't take up much data. Had problems with my N95 GPS though (in all apps), and the N96 wasn't *that* much better either.

I'm currently testing some for Android so have yet to decide what I think is best yet.

Nike will be producing a HR monitor and adaptor for the iPhone so you'll be able to record your HR as well, though how many developers will add HR support into their app I'm not sure. Not that I would ever develop for a single platform single manufacturer phone.

Overall though, none of these are going to beat specific bike gps (garmin edge and all that). HR, CAD, Wheel Speed (Better than gps speed), barometric altitude etc, and... waterproof ;) (if you actually want to see the display).

I tried using Google Tracks on my HTC Desire for the first time yesterday - great stuff if you're like me and not that obsessed with too many details. The only snag is that they released an update which I applied this morning, and now it won't upload to Google Maps or Docs (and I'm not the only one to have reported this, from a search on the web).

Top Bottom