Tractors and tractor drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I suspect you listen to the Food show ? on R4 ?
There was a really interesting program a few weeks ago and one smallholder talked of how he took on his fathers farm. When his father owned it, he took the route, as many do, of applying pesticides, fertilisers etc etc to increase yield, it seemed you had to to keep up with everyone else.
One local farmer known to his father took the route of lower yields, less intensive farming, less or no fertilisers etc, did his own thing but still made a living. His father was truly shocked when an agromomist ? took samples of the farms soils in the area...and the best soil by far was on the farm where no or little fertiliser was used.

I buy my potatoes from a smallholder, he only generally grows potatoes and some grain, wheat or sililar. He sells direct to the public, has done for 10 years, makes a good living. His potatoes go for around £4 per 10 Kg...if he sold to the marketing board, he gets an awful awful lot less.
He doesnt irrigate...it swells the crop, better yield, poorer potatoes for the customer. Its finding a niche for some farmers it seems, he has found his and loves it.

I haven't listened.

But yes a familiar story.

Might be someone I know..

I was roundly ridiculed at Ag college for suggesting such notions, as much less or no chemical input, but lots of soil care and organic matter. .

Twasnt the 'modern' way.

But now my soil is like brown sugar, and I'm making a modest but livable living.

It's hard to go against the grain (pun intended or not your choice) of what others are doing.

There's a bit of a rethink going on not just here but majorly in Europe too..

It's an interesting time to be involved in agricultural politics / food activism.

Unless farmers at all scales are supported - somehow - not nailed to the floor on price by supermarket and commodity buyers - whilst also being demonised for 'despoiling' the countryside this unbalanced situation will continue.

Brexit will likely make all this worse - a lot of farmers are living on their area (EU) payments, whilst barely breaking even on the grain or milk or other commodity they may be producing - they won't let on about that though ( see above)

Once that support is removed we will be likely get consolidation of landholdings to make even larger farms to compete (if they can) with lower production standard imports from outside the EU - with a few smaller scaled agroecological type of farms - supported by people who care about how, and by whom their food is produced.

Unless some kind of 'good farming' support and market protection is put in place.
I have a friend here who ran a farm for Riverford Foods. They set up here so products would be ready about 3 weeks earlier than the UK.
She has now retired and the farm is being sold.
I asked the owner of Riverford why they were selling the farm? His response was because of Brexit. My friend said he was 'incandescent' about it.
Real shame she's retired as we had a ready supply of really nice veg.
In the summer their work force would increase by 40. Mostly east Europeans but some French.
As I said earlier, farming wouldn't be something I'd want to do just glad someone does.
[/QUOTE]

I think something weird happened with your quoting of me @oldworld

That'll learn me to write essays :rolleyes:

But yes Brexit, has b@ggered a lot of things up for a lot of people, farmers included.

Ironically my business will probs stay the same, or even thrive.

But I'm still very annoyed on others behalf. :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It's the middle men and the supermarkets who need regulating... my daughter told me about a man who appeared every week for about a year, at their local 'farmer's market' in Fox Vally Sheffield, who went into a nearby Aldi, bought up all their veg then opened up his stall and sold it on as 'organic' home grown without any packaging. He made a living out of it because people bought it thinking it was a premium product. With the callous mark-up on retail and callous wholesale purchasing power driving prices down, farmers can't hope to make a living.

There is a regulator.

Know as the 'Grocery Code Adjudicator '

Who is supposed to oversee fair dealing.

Financed by...

The Supermarkets..

Genius^_^

ianbarton

Veteran
Disclaimer. I am a farmer. Trailers and tractors have got much bigger over the years. However, in theory this should mean less traffic. Twenty years ago using trailers that would carry 10 tons it would take us a week to harvest and bring in 120 acres of silage. Now we can do it in a day with fewer road journeys using trailers that can carry 25 tons.

Another factor is that farms have got bigger over the years. Journeys to bring in crops nd spread muck were made over much shorter distances. There is a farm near us who daily transports a tanker of dirty water from Shropshire to spread on some land they own in Staffordshire. I don't know the exact distance, but it's more than 20 miles.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Disclaimer. I am a farmer. Trailers and tractors have got much bigger over the years. However, in theory this should mean less traffic. Twenty years ago using trailers that would carry 10 tons it would take us a week to harvest and bring in 120 acres of silage. Now we can do it in a day with fewer road journeys using trailers that can carry 25 tons.

Another factor is that farms have got bigger over the years. Journeys to bring in crops nd spread muck were made over much shorter distances. There is a farm near us who daily transports a tanker of dirty water from Shropshire to spread on some land they own in Staffordshire. I don't know the exact distance, but it's more than 20 miles.

Can't help feeling (hoping) that in not very many years the concept of using that much diesel to haul some dirty water, so very far, will be seen as complete madness.

I mean it is already nuts, but I also know its just workaday stuff on many holdings right now.

I'm not farmer bashing here, but I think it does indicate how far away from good farming, the industry has been drawn.

How we get back to some semblance of sanity is a big question I know.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The bloke who does the tidying and gardening in the small park up the road drools over tractors,trailers etc. I've seen him stop his work and stand in awe when one goes past. He's told me where they'll have been made,what they can carry etc etc. Each to their own as they say. I find it quaint. I'd rather have that than someone drooling over knob head 'macho' cars as they go by.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
As above the regulations.

But yes it is scarey.
Similar here, narrow lanes not designed to take this kind of traffic.

And a gung-ho macho attitude (as is the wont of many youngsters let loose on machinery)

Plus youngsters are often working for contractors who are pushing to finish this job, get onto the next.
The payments on all this kit (often leased) is not small..

The profit margins are very tight.

And then there's the weather to contend with.
We had an awful accident near here a few years back.
It's making the hairs on the back of my neck rise thinking about it.

Basically a tractor and full silage trailer driven by a young man came nose vertically down off a high field edge 30ft into the tiny lane below.

I just hope it was quick.

There does need to be better regulation on these large machines, and how they are driven imo.

But the way I see it, it's just another symptom of the devaluation of food, and the people who produce it.

At ag college thirty years ago we were basically taught that our farms were a factory floor, just like any other industry.

Get big, or get out, everyone is chasing tighter and tighter margins..
If any margin at all.

Agriculture and fishing have taken the number one spot for industrial accidents, and deaths since the construction industry cleaned up its act

We are often working alone, pushed for time, and sometimes don't have time or resources to fix, or do stuff properly.

I've had a few near misses where 'that could have been my leg'

Sobering..

So I've found a way to make 'slow farming' pay the mortgage, wages, and me.

But a lot of the bigger guys are in a stranglehold of debt - having followed the orders they got about investng in big kit big tech, and relying on aggro chemicals.

Consumer wants 'convenience' and 'cheap as chemically grown, reliant on gallons of diesel chips' so we are where we are.

I still do occasionally take delight in holding up the traffic in the lanes as I chug along at ooo I dunno 15 whole mph on my old machine.

Thing is, those big machines are fun to hare along in, I know I've done it, you feel like 'King (or Queen) of the road - til it all goes wrong.
Once coming down a steep grassy slope which was wet with an old type Fergie with no cab and a dung spreader I found the spreader coming round in front of me. I was not going fast but it was scary tho' fortunately it did not turn over as it could have.

I'm not farmer bashing here, but I think it does indicate how far away from good farming, the industry has been drawn.

How we get back to some semblance of sanity is a big question I know.

Quite easy really, people need to accept that they have to pay "real money" for food and not be driven by cheap garbage food. If farmers earned a decent crust for the hard work they do then subsidies become irrelevant and their focus is quality and profit driven, those 2 things should exist in harmony in our food supply chain, today sadly they are in conflict with each other.

Can't help feeling (hoping) that in not very many years the concept of using that much diesel to haul some dirty water, so very far, will be seen as complete madness.
Is it worse than hauling lorry-loads of slightly fizzy water from south of France ( all in tiny plastic bottles that fit in your hand)?
Anyway ….

do these road-going beasties have dipped headlight settings? based on several encounters last night (on long straight unlit roads, of course) it seems not. And their lights are VERY bright.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It used to be 14 in the UK. When I were a lad we were insanely jealous of my mate who drove his Dad's tractor around the village of an evening while we were still 2 years away from getting mopeds. The law changed on that not long after to prevnt future young generations enjoying themselves.

I'm quite happy to be 'stuck' behind a tractor obeying the speed limit (15 or 25MPH, depending on the class) rather than seeing them razzing along at 40, barely in control. in fact, I'd quite like a classic tractor to play with.
Are some of them not road legal up tp 40 mph?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Once coming down a steep grassy slope which was wet with an old type Fergie with no cab and a dung spreader I found the spreader coming round in front of me. I was not going fast but it was scary tho' fortunately it did not turn over as it could have.

Yes I've had a few moments like that,
Being run away with by suddenly brake less machines, on steep Devon hills..

Very 'energising'

Quite easy really, people need to accept that they have to pay "real money" for food and not be driven by cheap garbage food. If farmers earned a decent crust for the hard work they do then subsidies become irrelevant and their focus is quality and profit driven, those 2 things should exist in harmony in our food supply chain, today sadly they are in conflict with each other.

Well yes, but how do we persuade people of that necessity?

Plus there are many people who are living in food poverty.
That poverty however is not caused by the shelf price of food though, that's barely risen in real terms in the last 30 years or so.

It's everything else that's skyrocketted

But food as a 'variable' rather than fixed cost in the household budget gets squeezed.

And who doesn't love to see cheap food piled high in the supermarkets ??

Just don't look to closely at the 'true cost' of that cheap food..

Is it worse than hauling lorry-loads of slightly fizzy water from south of France ( all in tiny plastic bottles that fit in your hand)?
Anyway ….

do these road-going beasties have dipped headlight settings? based on several encounters last night (on long straight unlit roads, of course) it seems not. And their lights are VERY bright.

No its all symptomatic of the same fossil fuel driven mentality imo.

Do they have dip function?
Yes

Do they always use em
Clearly not always.

Are some of them not road legal up tp 40 mph?

Yes they are.
All the modern ones AFAIK.

Even a Massey that i went to look at, as a prospective purchase the other day, was road legal to that speed.

I didn't buy it.. Too many onboard electronics to go wrong potentially.

And a weid dyno shift gearbox. :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The Massey 35 I learnt to drive on had a hi-lo box plus a 123 & Reverse. A choke/ preheater thingy and lights was about it for electonics!

Sounds very plush.

I think I started on an old International yard scraper..

Oh the glamour :blush:

But never mind all that.

Look!! The first sown rye corn is up!!

Only twelve days to germination.:becool:

Top Bottom