Traditional looking but functional commuting bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm curious about a functional but perhaps traditional looking for mixed mode commuting. Namely folder, train, folder then into the office. Looks good on the bike and in the office. Perhaps able to take a laptop very rarely but definitely able to take paperwork, waterproofs, pens, lunch, snacks, flasks and insulated coffee cup. 20 to 30 litres.

I've looked at carradice but I don't really like them. Perhaps not quite that traditional. Not bothered whether rucksack or courier bag with stability chest strap.

Anyone seen such a product?

tom73

Guru
I’ve one of these and love it
https://alpkit.com/products/alleycat

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've recently been drawn to a couple of Fjalravan's (not quite "traditional" but fairly understated) efforts for general / light walking use:

Raven 28:

raven_28_23345-633_f_main_fjr.jpg

Skule 28:

skule_28_23346-662_f_main_fjr.jpg

Greenland Top:

greenland_top_23150-046_f_main_fjr.jpg

There's also the more traditional Varmland, however it's pretty pricey and maybe a bit big at 35 litres. Nice looking piece of kit though :smile:

varmland_rucksack_23341-633-290_a_main_fjr.jpg

I've been looking for a while and unfortunately it seems that there's not a lot about of a vintage aesthetic that doesn't compromise function in some way compared to more modern designs; which I guess is understandable to an extent.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've recently been drawn to a couple of Fjalravan's (not quite "traditional" but fairly understated) efforts for general / light walking use:

Raven 28:

View attachment 665535

Skule 28:

View attachment 665536

Greenland Top:

View attachment 665537

There's also the more traditional Varmland, however it's pretty pricey and maybe a bit big at 35 litres. Nice looking piece of kit though :smile:

View attachment 665538

I've been looking for a while and unfortunately it seems that there's not a lot about of a vintage aesthetic that doesn't compromise function in some way compared to more modern designs; which I guess is understandable to an extent.

Talking to someone who has Fjalavans on his bike. He said they are not totally waterproof. It suprised me.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I have a bag from UPSO which is Carradice's recycled brand. I have the Brompton bag but they make a messenger.

https://upsobags.co.uk/recycled-bike-bags/medway-messenger-bag-small-2

Each on is unique so you can browse for the one you like.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I'm put off knog by the knog oi bell I got for my recumbent bike. Despite being fully suspended the knog oi bell still managed to shake itself to pieces. Fully tightened onto the bar but it fell apart in a couple of weeks at most. I know their bags are supposed to be better made but I don't think I can support the brand because of the bell.

Also, I'm looking for a rucksack or courier bag I carry. Plus I'm not sure normal sized panniers work on Bromptons and other small wheeled folding commuter bikes. I've got ortliebs of varying sizes too.

simongt

Guru
My only advice is, if you prefer rucsacs, avoid those which rely on zips to fasten the main compartments as a zip can jam or fail at the most awkward moment. :sad:
As a result of several years of experience, all my rucsacs have straps & buckles to fasten the main compartment/s and only zips for side pockets. Buckles can be easily replaced, :okay: zips not so. :sad:

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
My only advice is, if you prefer rucsacs, avoid those which rely on zips to fasten the main compartments as a zip can jam or fail at the most awkward moment. :sad:
As a result of several years of experience, all my rucsacs have straps & buckles to fasten the main compartment/s and only zips for side pockets. Buckles can be easily replaced, :okay: zips not so. :sad:

Zips? Not a problem. We have a traditional cobblers nearby that will replace zips in anything. She's got sources for many types of zips and is quick. My partner had boot zips replaced by timpson for £70+ and it took 2 or 3 months. This cobbler charged £12 and it was ready in a week! True, time served cobblers are rare and even rarer are women cobblers. Even rarer are ones who don't charge the earth for repairs. We are very happy to put work her way even just to contribute towards her keeping the skills alive! She has quite a interesting story too.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Fjallraven are costly even without the trad waxed cotton and leather version. A bit rich for my skinflint tendencies! Although I intend to save up for their trousers one day,

Top Bottom