Traditional rice pudding......none-sickly recipe wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
As me and Mrs D have been ill for 3 weeks we have struggled to eat full meals so Mrs D bought a ready made rice pudding........I found it very sweet and sickly. However it got me thinking-----I would like to do an old style 'proper' rice pudding.
Many of the recipes Mr google gave me sound so sickly & fattening eg 1/2 pint of cream added or soooo much sugar.
What is your simple NONE sickly rice pudding.

PK99

Legendary Member
Ingredients

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ingredients
Thanks.
TBH that was one that came up.
Have you actually tried it?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks.
TBH that was one that came up.
Have you actually tried it?
I make rice pudding quite often - similar to PK99's above, only with whole milk. I also find tinned versions too sweet. You can just vary the amount of sugar to taste. Also depends whether you want to eat it hot or cold - you'll need less sugar if hot.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I make rice pudding quite often - similar to PK99's above, only with whole milk. I also find tinned versions too sweet. You can just vary the amount of sugar to taste. Also depends whether you want to eat it hot or cold - you'll need less sugar if hot.
Hot for me..... and I want a skin on it like wot we used to get.
MrsD says she can eat it hot or cold but then she can eat cold baked beans:rolleyes:

ozboz

Guru
I make rice pudd in the pressure cooker sometimes , not quite the traditional but if you need a quick fix ...... not to bad if time is against you , lots of recipes on the net

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Just had a rice pud for afters! Nom!

2oz pudding rice
1oz sugar
1 pint milk
Grated nutmeg
Put all ingredients into a buttered slow cooker for three hours(ish), stirring occasionally. Easy.

Such a simple recipe is easy to adapt & produce subtly different puds. For example by using different rices (brown, Arborio etc), different sweetners as other folks mentioned (demerera or brown sugar makes a nice change). I also do a rice pud using only Arborio rice, replacing some of the milk with a tin of coconut milk and swapping crushed cardamom seeds for the nutmeg - my favourite.

Top Bottom