Traffic calming on cycle routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
How do you enforce a speed limit on a group of people who largely have no way of knowning how fast they are going?
I would hazard a guess that the proportion of riders with cycle computers on board is pretty low.
And I can't see spending thousands on speed warning signs (like they have for mortorised traffic) being likely.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
How do you enforce a speed limit on a group of people who largely have no way of knowning how fast they are going?
I would hazard a guess that the proportion of riders with cycle computers on board is pretty low.
And I can't see spending thousands on speed warning signs (like they have for mortorised traffic) being likely.

At the point where there is a school right next to the path they have painted zebra-like markings (rather than a normal stripy crossing) and there is a speed activated Slow Down sign. Not sure what speed it is triggered at. (I think those who are sensible will slow down at that point anyway and those who don't care probably haven't even noticed it).

on the road

Über Member
No but they could well be there with laser speed guns and stop you and ticket you - like this
Somehow I can't see that happening, maybe on cycle paths that are next to a road but not on cycles paths that are off the beaten track. I can't see the police patrolling cycle paths up and down the country some in the middle of nowhere, I don't think there are enough police officers for that and I'm sure they've got better things to do.

Somehow I can't see that happening, maybe on cycle paths that are next to a road but not on cycles paths that are off the beaten track. I can't see the police patrolling cycle paths up and down the country some in the middle of nowhere, I don't think there are enough police officers for that and I'm sure they've got better things to do.

They do in Bournemouth!

In the Summer there is a 10 mph limit enforced by Police with hand held cameras,

They then issue FPNs

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member

as they do in Richmond park - with a radar gun!
Plus radar operated speed signs

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
We have no way of knowing who was at fault in the incident on the B+B cycle path. I rode some of it last Sunday - Two Tunnels route from Wellow to Bath, then on to Bitton. IME it was the (relatively few) roadies on the path who were the safer, more predictable riders - this was the weekend, admittedly, and not commuter-time, but I found as soon as the path became busy, you had to be very very careful. I had a number of near misses - the closest call involving a girl who thought it was a good idea to turn and talk to her friend, as a result wobbling into my path. I was NOT cycling fast - 12 to 14mph at most. The bike handling skills of many of the riders left a lot to be desired.

OP
OP
P

PK99

Legendary Member
as they do in Richmond park - with a radar gun!
Plus radar operated speed signs

Blimey- seems a bit harsh. I don't have a computer on my 2nd bike, the Brompton, so I'd be a bit peed off to get a fine. Mind you, in my case, it's pertty unlikely anyway!

20 mph limit on all vehicles, bikes included, problem is with bikes overtaking cars who are sticking to the 20mph and sometimes rapping on the roof in frustration as they pass.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Properly designed and placed speed bumps will slow them down...well except for the mountain bike crowd, you know how they are. ;)

The problem is that speed bumps are not brilliant for the other people who have to use the cycle paths, whether it be parents with buggies, or brand new cyclists. Only a week ago I came across a parent and two children who was tending to the younger child who went head first over the handlebars after hitting a speed bump in Ashton Court. Poor kid had multiple wounds.

RWright

Guru
The problem is that speed bumps are not brilliant for the other people who have to use the cycle paths, whether it be parents with buggies, or brand new cyclists. Only a week ago I came across a parent and two children who was tending to the younger child who went head first over the handlebars after hitting a speed bump in Ashton Court. Poor kid had multiple wounds.

I agree, they are not a great solution but they do slow things down. They can even be a pain for people walking at night. Seems like when idiot countermeasures have to be installed everyone has to suffer.

Top Bottom