Traffic light lecturer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

magnatom said:
I catch up with her at the lights (shock horror!) and she then suggests that I would be safer on a cycle path (at 20mph I think not!).

Ahh, yes, the old 'you're in my way and cycle paths exist, therefore you must cycle in cycle paths whether there is one here or not, dammit' gambit. Yeah, when you get that you know that the motorist is an idiot, and that you're wasting your breath. Not that it ever stops most of us...

Anyway I ask her if she cycles, ' I do' she says. Mmmm I doubt that, bikes can only take so much strain. She reiterates that it is safer on the path. So I ask if she has taken a bikeability course. She says yes. Mmmmm :biggrin:. I ask was that their advice. She says yes. I then point out to her that that was probably because she was so dangerous on the bike that they thought it was safer for her to be on the cyclepath. She drove off before I could hear a reply.

Why when driving a car do people need to back up their warped views with downright lies....:sad: Hey ho.

Because they're in the wrong. They know they're in the wrong. But it isn't about that, its about the fact that they view us as different, as an inferior outlying group, they don't really know enough about cycling safely or unsafely to comment, but they're showing a fairly typical disgust response. In their eyes they don't HAVE to show they're right, they must be right solely because we're in the wrong.

The solution? Sorry to say, there isn't one, other than training motorists in cycle safety. Thats real cycle safety, not 'use cycle lanes' cycle safety.

Cab said:
The solution? Sorry to say, there isn't one, other than training motorists in cycle safety. Thats real cycle safety, not 'use cycle lanes' cycle safety.

Aye, the driving licence should be acquired in stages. One of the stages that should be required is to take and pass a cycle safety course (of course there would be those that would be exempt for medical reasons).

You learn to walk before you run, so you should learn to cycle before you drive.

Hey that could be a slogan! :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Aye, the driving licence should be acquired in stages. One of the stages that should be required is to take and pass a cycle safety course (of course there would be those that would be exempt for medical reasons).

You learn to walk before you run, so you should learn to cycle before you drive.

Hey that could be a slogan! :sad:

??? Because cycling is what kids do and driving is what grown ups do, it's a natural progression eh?

FFS :biggrin::angry:

domtyler said:
??? Because cycling is what kids do and driving is what grown ups do, it's a natural progression eh?

FFS :biggrin::angry:

Eh, no. I do a lot of walking. I learned to walk, before I could run, doesn't mean I don't still walk. In fact walking is more energy efficient. Cycling is more energy efficient than driving. I think the slogan is a pretty good one. (yes I am biased!)

It's only grumpy old farts like yourself who would take exception to it. :sad: You are awful grumpy these days Dom.

Top Bottom