Traffic light lecturer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbles

I rode my crappy shopping bike in yesterday as my usual pristine bike I ride to work had an overnight flat.
Anyway, in London, I'm behind some dude on in lycra/racey bike and my old jalopy's squeaking and clattering over the bumps. We've gone about a mile and he yells behind him about getting chains oiled. I think he's kinda pally and yell back a cheeky 'sorry!'
Next set of lights I cheerily say 'sorry, I'd clear off into the distance to relieve him of the squeaking, but my legs aren't up to it' etc.........

Cue very stern, straightfaced (slightly too sanctimonious)lecture on 10% power increase/efficiency/longevity for the price of £1.99 oil.........accompanied with a distainful look at my bike.......(which actually wasn't squeaking that badly)

My God! Lighten up a bit wontcha!

Why do people have to be so judgemental?

Mind you - I confess I put some oil on it when I got back;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
OHMYGOD!!

Bonj isn't in London is he?:tongue:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
So did you power away from him then wait at the next traffic lights and laugh at him for thinking that oil makes a difference?:biggrin:

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

Joe24 said:
So did you power away from him then wait at the next traffic lights and laugh at him for thinking that oil makes a difference?:biggrin:

Lol!
Wouldn't that have been a laugh;):angry:

Night Train

Maker of Things
You need to time it right and catch him again on your usual bike. You can then thank him profusely and show him how much difference a drop of oil has made to your bike.

historyman

I got this the other day, except it was a guy leaning out of a car window. He was genuinely furious about my unoiled chain. I almost felt I would end up in prison, it was that heinous.

bonj2

So you got some worthwhile education completely free-of-charge from a fellow cyclist in london. It's good to see people looking out for others.

mootaineer

My pedals squeak.
I don't know if it annoys anyone else but it annoys me!
Noise coming from other people really doesn't bother me much as I can ride away or in a different direction. ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Seeing so many unfed chains winds me up no end!!! I hate it, squeeeeeeeek squeeeeeeek squeeeeek past the Albert Memorial all day every day I'm there, FFS!

I got my lecture yesterday on the way home (I'd forgot to start recording from my helmet camera, so no youtube!). Car passes and a clinically obese (I did a quick BMI measurement because it was important to put the comments into context :eek:) lady shouts as she passes 'get on the cycle lane'. There were none around and in fact none that will take me from work to home.

I catch up with her at the lights (shock horror!) and she then suggests that I would be safer on a cycle path (at 20mph I think not!). Anyway I ask her if she cycles, ' I do' she says. Mmmm I doubt that, bikes can only take so much strain. She reiterates that it is safer on the path. So I ask if she has taken a bikeability course. She says yes. Mmmmm :ohmy:. I ask was that their advice. She says yes. I then point out to her that that was probably because she was so dangerous on the bike that they thought it was safer for her to be on the cyclepath. She drove off before I could hear a reply.

Why when driving a car do people need to back up their warped views with downright lies....:biggrin: Hey ho.

domtyler

Über Member
I have a tape of a squeaky old clarty bike that I play out over some speakers as I'm gliding along on my otherwise well oiled machine. I don't half get some weird looks!

Mr Pig

It's kinda weird. Where I live you 'never' have such debates with other road users. The people are so thick, and often agressive, that trying to talk to anyone is utterly pointless, and possibly dangerous.

andyfromotley

A freind of a friend brought such a lecture to an abrupt end by emptying his water bottle through the drivers window, they ended his journey by running him over and breaking his leg.

Apparently they thought that made them even stevens!

Top Bottom