Traffic light mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen C

Über Member
A newly refurbished junction in Cambridge has been discussed on this forum before. I was driving past it earlier this week and they have installed wide angle mirrors just below the traffic lights angled so the vehicle at the front can see down the cycle lane. Here is a (rather bad, I'm afraid) photo:

IMAG0217.jpg

I think is a good step forward, improving things without pointing the finger at cyclists or motorists. I found it very useful as I was turning left at the junction and the headlights from the car behind obliterated the view in my wing-mirror and any vehicle at or approaching the junction will be looking at the lights anyway.

What do people think?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Looks like a good idea to me - now you just need motorists to use it!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Just wait for the "I didn't see the cyclist as I was dazzled by the sun in the mirror..."

As we all know, Cambridge is sunnier than Mallorca (with better roads....)

tyred

Legendary Member
Good for the ladies to apply makeup and check their hair while sitting at the traffic lights?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
How very sexist....
You'd prefer ... good for ladies and gentlemen to apply their makeup and check their hair?;)

wish they had actually looked at the angle they have installed them at in Northwich. They are useless unless you are 3 cars back from the white line. Once you actually get to the white line, all you can see is 2-3 cars back from you and car drivers are even worse off because they can't see you at all and think that the mirror will actually tell them if a cyclist is alongside them! I now stop in the middle of the lane and block the road - it is the only way you get seen....

Top Bottom