Traffic sign query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gizmo1994

My son is learning to drive at the moment and they take these signs very seriously here in France. He pointed out that the priority traffic sign is rectangular therefore advisory and the non-priority sign is round therefore mandatory. I notice from the Streetview this is the same in the UK.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Therein lies one of the problems - one persons "it's perfectly safe - you could get a bus through there" is another persons "you nearly killed me!"
Thats why I said it would be ok with me. With others they may not feel so comfortable.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Take the lane, make eye contact, move from side to side across the oncoming driver's field of vision and assert your right.

If it's safe for a car and bike to cross the bridge at the same time, why not let that happen as described in the OP, just seems obvious to me. I regularly go over a bridge with one of these signs, usually when I'm on my bike I'm going in the direction that is supposed to give way, if it's a car coming the other way, I normally carry on, plenty of room, obviously if the vehicle approaching is a big lorry shape, travelling quickish, or wanting all of the road, I give way. I really don't understand why you would feel as though you have to force the other vehicle to stop when it's not required, but then "assert your right" is not a phrase I think I have ever used.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As said upthread, taking the lane is the best option. There is one on my commute on a pinch point and some on local leisure ride roads. I'll put up with the swearing which sometimes ensues rather than being squeezed.

GilesM

Legendary Member
As said upthread, taking the lane is the best option. There is one on my commute on a pinch point and some on local leisure ride roads. I'll put up with the swearing which sometimes ensues rather than being squeezed.

I agree, however, from the OP this thread is not about being squeezed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Around here those pinch points usually have a space for a bike to pass through on the outside of the bollard...if not blocked by a parked car obvs :angry:
Or used as a convenient means for drivers to go 2 wheels up on the footway and bypass the bottleneck. Seen that happen more than once.

We have lots like that. Whilst it tight for two cars, there's ample room for a bike and an opposing car and I've no problem with a car coming through/ sharing the road. What does irk me is the narrower 'traffic calming' narrowing when an opposing car comes through when there's not enough room :-(

freiston

Veteran
My take on it is that priority and giving way is clearly applied to the bridge - the sign the other side of the bridge says "Give way to oncoming vehicles" and the road markings are for giving way same as at a junction. If there is an oncoming vehicle (with priority) on the bridge then any vehicle at the give way sign and markings should give way - i.e. wait until the bridge is clear before continuing - and should not make a judgement call on whether there is enough room for them to ignore the instruction to give way.

swansonj

Guru
My take on it is that priority and giving way is clearly applied to the bridge - the sign the other side of the bridge says "Give way to oncoming vehicles" and the road markings are for giving way same as at a junction. If there is an oncoming vehicle (with priority) on the bridge then any vehicle at the give way sign and markings should give way - i.e. wait until the bridge is clear before continuing - and should not make a judgement call on whether there is enough room for them to ignore the instruction to give way.
But surely at a normal Give Way sign, at a junction, that is precisely the judgement we make? We understand that the Give Way sign means we must not impede someone else's progress, because they have the right of way over us. If we judge that we can proceed without impeding them, we do so, if we can't, we don't?

boydj

Legendary Member

I do the same and hold the centre of the lane - to the point of actually stopping - until it's clear that the driver is slowing down enough to make the pass safe.

freiston

Veteran
But surely at a normal Give Way sign, at a junction, that is precisely the judgement we make? We understand that the Give Way sign means we must not impede someone else's progress, because they have the right of way over us. If we judge that we can proceed without impeding them, we do so, if we can't, we don't?
No - the judgement call you should make when giving way is whether the road you want to enter will be clear of vehicles when you make your manoeuvre (without causing them to slow down,swerve etc.) - not whether you can (squeeze in and) make your manoeuvre despite the other vehicles. On the bridge the give way applies to the bridge - the judgement call would be whether you can safely clear the bridge before the oncoming traffic enters the bridge. There is a difference between making a judgement call on whether the way is clear (to proceed) or not (to give way) and making a judgement call on whether you have the room to proceed without giving way when the way is not clear.

Edit: imho, all other factors being within the law (e.g. other vehicles being inside the speed limit and correctly lit where required) any judgement call made should bear out to be correct - if you make the wrong call, you are in the wrong.

Last edited:
Top Bottom