Traffic vs Headwind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
Will be going on a bike ride this weekend, longish, and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on which is less bad.

Sunday: where they’ll probably be less traffic but eventually there’ll be a 10mph headwind with 20mph gusts.

Saturday: where they’ll probably be more traffic but only a 6mph cross wind with 13mph gusts.

I know you could do with more info but I’m looking for a general answer to less traffic/more wind or more traffic/less wind on a long bike ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
You do realise the weather can change and isn't 100% accurate :laugh:

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
You do realise the weather can change and isn't 100% accurate :laugh:

Yep, but I have been keeping an eye on it over the week and to be fair to the Met Office it's been keeping pretty consistent, granted the wind speeds will probably move around abit till the day.

I more just wanted to know on a long bike ride what's preferable less traffic or less headwind. :smile:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Depends on the road. I'd wager traffic is more predictable than the weather. However, i'd just go out whichever day makes better sense for you and not rely on either the traffic or the weather for my decision...

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for less traffic every time. A pleasant ride is more important that a higher average speed.
This :smile: Traffic will slow you down more than the wind and you'll get a better workout in the wind if that's your intention (if not it doesn't matter)

markemark

Über Member
Neither would be a consideration. I just cycle at a time that is most convenient.

Sharky

Guru
All my rides now are loops, start & finish from home, so winds balance out.
Traffic - tend to avoid the busy roads, but quiet country roads can be lethal, with bad surfaces, dogs running out and horse riders taking the full width of the roads.

Top Bottom