trafic calming "NOT!" what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markg0vbr

Über Member
This is an automated message from an unattended mailbox.

Thank you for your Local Transport Issues Comment form. This has been forwarded to the Transportation team for action.

Form submitted on 05-08-2010 at 22:20:51

Users IP address: 178.101.209.46
Jadu system form reference number: 32131.

Your data:

QuestionResponseTitle:MrForename:markSurname:Address 1:Address 2:Address 3:rawmarshTown/City:rotherhamPostcode:Telephone Number:Email:Feedback Details:blush: ride my bicycle up Barbers ave at park gate every weekday, every time, i have car drivers doing dangerous, illegal overtaking. ie going the wrong side of the traffic islands, late and abortive overtaking coming up to island, a constant stream of threats / abuse and extremely close overtaking at lethal speeds. this has been a traffic calming road for a long time now, putting the island in has just crated lots of pinch points. to quote TRL report 549. http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/r...ty/report_drivers_perceptions_of_cyclists.htm "highway designs that deliberately require cyclists to obstruct traffic in order to produce a traffic calming effect should be avoided as they are likely to cause particular frustration to drivers" as this is a steep hill in places eight to ten mph is a good pace, this causes exactly the problem highlighted in the report.Location of Problem:barbers ave rawmarshNature of Problem:Road SafetyNature of Problem:Traffic ManagementNature of Problem:Cycling FacilitiesAttachment (Optional):

Dear Mr ......,

Thank you for your recent email in which you have expressed your concerns regarding the provision of pedestrian refuges and the effect on cyclists safety at the above location.

I do appreciate the problems you experience on this road, I also cycle this particular route on a regular basis and have experienced many of the issues you have raised in your email. However, whilst I agree with your concerns it is important to remember that we as a highway authority have to look at provision for all road users, including pedestrians. The refuges concerned do have a traffic calming effect but are essentially there in order to assist pedestrians to cross the road safely, particularly so in this area which has a high number of elderly residents. Whilst the TRL report mentioned in your email makes many pertinent points it would be wrong to single out the specific quote "highway designs that deliberately require cyclists to obstruct traffic in order to produce a traffic calming effect should be avoided". As stated above the pedestrian refuges on Barbers Avenue were not designed to deliberately use cyclists for calming traffic, in fact to my knowledge there are no traffic calming methods which specifically use cyclists in this way.

Unfortunately it is not always easy to accommodate all road users in highway design and many of the issues raised in your email can be attributed to bad driver behaviour, this can only be addressed by educating both drivers and cyclists and by changing attitudes. Where possible cyclists should try to use such 'pinch points' to their advantage by early observation and confident manoeuvring into a primary position (the centre of the road between kerb and refuge), this position makes you more visible and less likely to be forced over into the kerb. Unfortunately drivers general perception of cyclists are that we are a hindrance and slow them down - this is irrespective of any highway design!

We are however currently looking at improvements to the cycle network within Rotherham and Barbers Avenue will be added to our list of potential improvements for 2010/2011, in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss the matter further.

Yours Sincerely

Marc Hill,
Traffic Liaison Officer & National Standard Cycle Training Instructor.

Transportation Unit - Planning and Regeneration,
Environment and Development Services,
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council,
Bailey House, Rawmarsh Road,
Rotherham,
S60 1TD.

Direct: 01709822814
Internal from old: 7422814
Internal from new: 22814
Fax: 01709822139
Email: marc.hill@rotherham.gov.uk

Visit our website: <http://www.rotherham.gov.uk>

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Always did find it a bit narrow myself which was why I used Rawmarsh Hill instead. As there aren't any other North South roads for miles to the east they really should prioritise things in that area.

OP
OP
markg0vbr

markg0vbr

Über Member
Always did find it a bit narrow myself which was why I used Rawmarsh Hill instead. As there aren't any other North South roads for miles to the east they really should prioritise things in that area.

perhaps you could drop the chap a line or fill in the online form? it can only help:thumbsup:

StuartG

slower but further
Coincidentally when I wrote to my local planner about some inconsiderate (to me) road changes to the detriment of cyclists - he replied he was a keen cyclist too.

Interestingly how they see it so different.

OP
OP
markg0vbr

markg0vbr

Über Member
i sent a message back asking if there are any consultation meeting regarding cycling.

Mark,

Unfortunately at the present time there are no cycling consultation groups within the Rotherham area, there is however a Rotherham branch of the Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) although this is in itself a sub-division of the Sheffield branch. There has in the past been consultation between local cycle groups and the Council but these were badly attended or showed little interest and so were discontinued.

If you require information or updates with regard to the latest aspects of cycle training or highway provision for cyclists then I would recommend the following government website www.bikeability.org.uk. The Bikeability scheme covers all aspects of cycle training for children and also adults who are not confident cyclists but wish to learn more about riding in high traffic areas. The scheme is broken down into three levels starting with basic bike handling skills through to riding on multi lane roads and large urban roundabouts. I would also recommend the Department for Transport (DfT) website and their publication 'Cycle craft' by John Franklin.

With regard to any specific changes to highway design in Rotherham which may effect cyclists, the Transportation Unit currently carries out 'Cycle Road Safety Audits' on any new road layouts or changes to existing traffic management schemes in order to ensure that they are safe for cyclists to use.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information on this subject.

Regards - Marc

markg0vbr Posts: 6 Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm

marinyork

You really need to write back to Mr Hill, some of his comments are bang out of order and verging on taking the piss. It's deeply disrespectful to start waffling on about John Franklin, bikeability and all that stuff that most cyclists know about already. He needs taking down a peg or two.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Nearly got twatted myself by a car trying to overtake me at a pedestrian refuge in Carlton-in-Lindrick last week.

They've installed them all over Maltby (in Rotherham). They've put them opposite bus stops blocking ALL traffic flow when busses are alighting/loading.

A complete waste of money.

Whatever happened to the Green Cross Code?

Kids from Maltby Comp, sorry, Maltby Academy, just spill across the road in hoards, not taking any notice of crossing points or refuges in an attempt to reach Greggs or the Ice Cream van.

Norman49

Provision for cyclists in the Rotherham Metropolitan Borough is not very good.

Few cycle lanes, poorly signed cycle paths and little secure cycle parking.

Whilst motor vehicle drivers are pretty much the same everywhere, unthinking (?), uncaring (?), blind (?), some towns , cities and areas do something about it, it seems not in Rotherham.

marinyork

Provision for cyclists in the Rotherham Metropolitan Borough is not very good.

Few cycle lanes, poorly signed cycle paths and little secure cycle parking.

Whilst motor vehicle drivers are pretty much the same everywhere, unthinking (?), uncaring (?), blind (?), some towns , cities and areas do something about it, it seems not in Rotherham.

I wondered what your specific concerns were.

My view is that some of the facilities are there e.g. underpass legally allowed to cycle under under the roundabout where Centenary Way and Sheffield Road meet; Chapel Walk under centenary Way; or Heringthorpe Valley Road where a cycle path runs for a mile along the Urban A road. These facilities are lightyears ahead of Sheffield but the first two are very poorly labelled. My biggest gripe would be the ban on cyclists on using the contraflow bus lane on Corporation Street. This is deeply penalising to cyclists and dumps me on a inner ring road dual carriageway rather than a nice, fairly sedate town centre route. It's totally and utterly backwards cyclists are banned.

Norman49

I wondered what your specific concerns were.

My view is that some of the facilities are there e.g. underpass legally allowed to cycle under under the roundabout where Centenary Way and Sheffield Road meet; Chapel Walk under centenary Way; or Heringthorpe Valley Road where a cycle path runs for a mile along the Urban A road. These facilities are lightyears ahead of Sheffield but the first two are very poorly labelled. My biggest gripe would be the ban on cyclists on using the contraflow bus lane on Corporation Street. This is deeply penalising to cyclists and dumps me on a inner ring road dual carriageway rather than a nice, fairly sedate town centre route. It's totally and utterly backwards cyclists are banned.

I agree about the underpasses, I use the one near the old B & Q regularly, I haven't been along HVRd for years though.

My comments were meant to be general rather than specific and are based on what I have so far, on a recent return to cycling, found localy and on driving in and visiting other places.

I don't understand the situation on Corporation Street either.

It seems to me that Rotherham uses cyclists as road narrow schemes. Take a look at Meadowbank Road. The cycle lane in one direction only and the oversized islands are very obvious road narrowing methods.

As for Barbers Avenue, removing the pinch point 'wedges' was a good idea. The only thing they ever did was cause a police car to overturn about a week after they were installed. The road is too narrow to be playing traffic management games with.

Top Bottom