Train Breakfasts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here we go. The usual whinge about train food!
Anyone had a good one?
As I speed towards London, the HOT bacon roll eventually devoured, i'm left thinking how little it tasted like a home-made jobby.
The roll itself had turned into a brown golf ball, and the bacon was the rubber windings inside.
That's some powerful train microwave. At least the golf ball had cooled down in the 30 miles or so past Crewe. From 400c to 300c that is.
The plastic wrapper had become a new element, like thin glass.
My fellow passengers in coach K thanked me for the instant sauna when said wrapper was opened, even if it did smell like a draylon sofa on fire.
20230712_075421.jpg

As the tannoy keeps repeating. See it, Say it, Sort it!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I used to love a proper train breakfast, in the dining car, what you've got is a microwave jobbie in the cheap seats. Get yourself booked into 1st class and do it in style.
I agree that "See it, Say it, Sort it!" is very annoying and appalling grammar.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
It's a shame the train operating companies did away with the restaurant carriages. GNER, now LNER were the last company to have them. They were done away with to utilise the space for extra seating. Now there is just the buffet booth with microwave food and drinks, normally run by a franchise company.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's a shame the train operating companies did away with the restaurant carriages. GNER, now LNER were the last company to have them. They were done away with to utilise the space for extra seating. Now there is just the buffet booth with microwave food and drinks, normally run by a franchise company.

You can still get the dining service served at your table in 1st class on LNER, on certain services, you just have to make sure its serving the DINE menu to get the full works

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I used to enjoy the GNER food - You could just turn up, even as a scum class Standard Class passenger and get your dinner. It may have been expensive, but I didn't care.

I'd only go for the second sitting north of York though (it was much quieter after all the London types had left) and complete with my bags from the DVT, I'd arrive in Edinburgh or Glasgow properly fed and watered.

I miss it.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
As the tannoy keeps repeating. See it, Say it, Sort it!
I will point out that actual phrase is "See it, Say it, SORTED".

As in, you're meant to see whatever it is they want you to see, pass on the info to a member of staff/police, and then THEY are the ones to sort it out.

Still a facile phrase and doesn't need constantly repeating at every station though (I'm a commuter and probably hear it 10+ times a day).

Paulus

As I speed towards London, the HOT bacon roll eventually devoured, i'm left thinking how little it tasted like a home-made jobby.

😳

Paulus

The newest railway company to run from Kings Cross to Edinburgh, LUMO, stupid name in my opinion, has the option to order your food from Marks and Spencer before you travel, and it is delivered to your seat before the train leaves.

Top Bottom