Train Breakfasts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The newest railway company to run from Kings Cross to Edinburgh, LUMO, stupid name in my opinion, has the option to order your food from Marks and Spencer before you travel, and it is delivered to your seat before the train leaves.

they also don't take bikes

tom73

Guru
Prue Leith told a story once about her time on the Board of British Rail.
They use to get letters saying how nice the bacon sandwiches was on the X train to x. Others use to complain about the quality on later trains compared to the earlier service. They thought hold a minute we don't serve bacon sandwiches on that service.
Turned out the crew and chef had a sideline going selling them.

richardfm

Veteran
Yes, although it was years ago on a service to Paddington.

Proper dining car and a properly cooked breakfast which the uniformed steward use to bring to your seat on a large, round platter.

'Full house, sir?'

Oh yes, which meant you got a portion of everything.

We used to get that traveling from Cardiff to London. We'd get standard class tickets then go and sit in the dining car for breakfast. We'd stay there for the whole journey as it was a first class carriage.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We used to get that traveling from Cardiff to London. We'd get standard class tickets then go and sit in the dining car for breakfast. We'd stay there for the whole journey as it was a first class carriage.

yes it used to be a good wheeze, if there we spare seats in 1st class dining bit you could just pay for breakfast, and then they stopped it and made breakfast 1st class only and included it in the ticket price.

ExBrit

Über Member
When I commuted to London I would have a couple of slices of toast and a coffee and be pretty pleased with it. That was back in the days of British Rail. Do you remember when private companies bidding to replace it pledged to improve service and make a profit? Did that work out well for you?

Although Amtrak seems to be trying to bankrupt itself, food is actually something it does quite well and the prices are only double what you would pay at more static eateries. You can get a decent steak dinner if you have the funds.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
When I commuted to London I would have a couple of slices of toast and a coffee and be pretty pleased with it. That was back in the days of British Rail. Do you remember when private companies bidding to replace it pledged to improve service and make a profit? Did that work out well for you?

Although Amtrak seems to be trying to bankrupt itself, food is actually something it does quite well and the prices are only double what you would pay at more static eateries. You can get a decent steak dinner if you have the funds.

Yes, i remember nabbing some good food on Amtrak ... DC to Orlando ... but why do the trains crawl along? 55mph cars were going faster. Winter had turned to summer when I got there :laugh:
Best train food I've had on the express to Berlin from Frankfurt, great stuff.

OP
OP
Grant Fondo
This thread would not have started if plan A had been in operation, to make my own bacon butties, just ran out of time. :hungry:
Bit peckish here on the 5pm whooshing back up north, ... in first class this is on the menu, yum! Lucky blighters.
Screenshot_20230712_183221_Drive.jpg

My £310 ticket only gets me some formica twixt two pieces of cardboard for 4 quid, oh well, in for a penny .... :hungry:

Top Bottom