Train journey with a replacement bus service...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not bus replacement but I’ve ended up riding often enough when trains are cancelled / long delays
Remember to claim compensation when that happens!

I got about £100 worth of rail vouchers when a train to Cornwall broke down and we were stuck on it for hours waiting for a replacement engine to be sent out.

A couple of years ago I had to ride for 2 hours to get home after a long ride in the Ribble Valley. I got a one way Northern Trains voucher for that. I could use that to get as far as Newcastle. I have not used it yet but intend to this year. I will go to somewhere a decent distance from home (say 100 km to 100 miles) and ride back.

If you have paid for a booking for yourself and your bike then you have a contract with the train operating company to get you and your bike to your destination.

Our son has stood his ground and eventually been supplied with a taxi big enough to take him and his bike.
An elderly Scottish relative was provided with a free taxi to get from Glasgow to Oban after a landslip blocked the railway line. That is about a 160 km/100 mile drive!

Remember to claim compensation when that happens!

I got about £100 worth of rail vouchers when a train to Cornwall broke down and we were stuck on it for hours waiting for a replacement engine to be sent out.

A couple of years ago I had to ride for 2 hours to get home after a long ride in the Ribble Valley. I got a one way Northern Trains voucher for that. I could use that to get as far as Newcastle. I have not used it yet but intend to this year. I will go to somewhere a decent distance from home (say 100 km to 100 miles) and ride back.

An elderly Scottish relative was provided with a free taxi to get from Glasgow to Oban after a landslip blocked the railway line. That is about a 160 km/100 mile drive!

Delay Repay is what we need to use more, I use it every time I get any delay >15mins and its well worth it. Its also possible to pre-register so if any train is delayed you have an advance ticket for it will refund automatically - I once booked a advance I didn't use, but the train was delayed and I got 50% back lol.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Its also possible to pre-register so if any train is delayed you have an advance ticket for it will refund automatically - I once booked a advance I didn't use, but the train was delayed and I got 50% back lol.
Beware! The GB railway companies regard claiming delay repay for trains you didn't use as fraud and do investigate if you do it enough to notice. It's especially easy for them with e-tickets if there's a barrier that you would have to had scanned them at. If you abandon a journey due to delays or bus replacements, even one you've started, I understand you can claim a full refund (there shouldn't be an admin fee), but not delay repay.

Beware! The GB railway companies regard claiming delay repay for trains you didn't use as fraud and do investigate if you do it enough to notice. It's especially easy for them with e-tickets if there's a barrier that you would have to had scanned them at. If you abandon a journey due to delays or bus replacements, even one you've started, I understand you can claim a full refund (there shouldn't be an admin fee), but not delay repay.

Good to know, I'll contact them next time to refund it back to them as this was an auto refund on an advance ticket - I didn't realise that train was delayed until a couple weeks later when I got the email telling me. I arrived early at the station and booked on the next train rather than waiting for my original one, fare was about £7.50 so I never even looked at refunding it.

I've just found https://trainswap.seatfrog.com/ which lets you move advance tickets which I'll try next time instead.

All uphill

Still rolling along
If you think you may want/need to reclaim a portion of your fare it's a good idea to take a photo of your tickets.

When you finally arrive at your destination the ticket barrier will eat your ticket leaving you without evidence.

Our son, who travels a lot using bike and train, takes photos of his tickets and photos of the passenger information signs showing the delays. He tells us that he got nearly £1000 of refunds last year, as well as three long distance taxi rides!

Emanresu

Southern/Southeastern are my local ones and there are a lot of Rail Replacement buses. Rule of thumb is that if it’s a London Transport bus don’t bother asking. If it’s a local coach company then ask nicely and you may be in luck.

Not usually that far from home so will ride the back roads home if I need to or at a push get the OH to bring the car and bike rack. OH is not always available though.

Top Bottom