train restrictions on folding bike wheel size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've finally convinced a friend to start commuting by bike but she still needs to do the first 10 miles by train (West Drayton to Ealing Broadway) so I've recommended a folding bike. She really like mine (Dawes Kingpin) but it has 19in wheels and according to First Great Western their folding bike policy only applies to wheels of 18in or less - has anyone had any problems with this or seen this being a problem?

It sounds a bit daft to me to quibble over 1 inch but I'd hate her to waste her money (she can't afford a brompton or similar).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't think it's the train companies that are the worry, (although there are petty jobsworth station staff that likes to make things difficult). It's the train passengers that I think will take umbrage and give her a hard time if trying to board a packed train with a larger bike. It's not nice to be knocked on the shins by a bike. At least with a Brompton they are small enough to put between or behind ones legs to protect others.

But whether anyone is going to measure to see if it the wheels are an inch too big... I wouldn't have thought so.

edit: And when Madam, did one purchase yet another bike?

Only way to find out what your local rail provider finds acceptable is to contact them and ask.

No need, they say in the Cycling by Train leaflet.

Please note that we define folding bikes as those which have a maximum wheel size of 18 inches in diameter. Bikes with larger wheels
will be treated as conventional, non-folding, bikes and must be stored in the designated area.

rusky

CC Addict
South West Trains now want to ban anything that does not fit into a luggage rack!
Challenge accepted! :evil:

rusky

CC Addict
No need, they say in the Cycling by Train leaflet.

Please note that we define folding bikes as those which have a maximum wheel size of 18 inches in diameter. Bikes with larger wheels
will be treated as conventional, non-folding, bikes and must be stored in the designated area.
Funny, most define folding bikes by - the fact they fold! :crazy:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I actually think that's a pretty sensible definition for a packed commuter train. On my previous commute, my Brompton went between the seats out of the way but there was a guy with a Dahon on the same train most days and it didn't fit between the seats or in the racks, and the fold was rubbish so it did get in the way and cause quite a few grazed shins.

The thing that gets me is that we now have smaller trains, seats that are narrower than the average British behind, and no space for any luggage or bikes

The conflict is one that is engineered by the ATOCS

CopperBrompton

Fundamentally, though, it's about population and/or the quaint notion that people have to travel to a central location to work.

Peaktime trains are as long as they can be given platform lengths, and train geeks tell me there are all sorts of signalling/points complications with making them even longer by building longer platforms. When trains are standing room only, you can understand restrictions on what can be carried at peak times.

Granted it may be unfair to ban bicycles while permitting large suitcases, but the reality is few people want to carry large cases in peaktime so the occasional one or two isn't a significant issue.

What is really needed is to bring the railways into the modern age an start fulfilling customer needs.

No other form of Transport is allowed to overcrowd that way that Rail is, or restrict space in te same manner.

The trains are now almost entirely dedicated to shorter distance commuting and traveling any distance for leisure, carrying luggage or bicycle has become increasingly difficult.

CopperBrompton

How would you deal with peaktime crowding? Can't make trains longer, can't run more trains, so what would you do?

Top Bottom