train restrictions on folding bike wheel size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How would you deal with peaktime crowding? Can't make trains longer, can't run more trains, so what would you do?
Can do both, but it costs money. So spend the money*. A great Keynesian stimulus package, and cheaper than many alternatives.

*As TfL have been doing on the tube for the last few years - the Metropolitan line now has new, more reliable trains which are better off-peak for bikes, new signalling, more frequent services.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Train geeks tell me you can't. At London terminus stations, the schedule simply has no slack - there are already trains parked outside waiting for a train to leave so they can get a platform. And you can't extend the platforms any further because the points start immediately past the end of them.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Becs your friend would be better off cycling to the next station up which is called Hayes as from here you can not only catch Great Western trains, but you can catch the Heathrow Express to Ealing Broadway. You have a higher sucess rate with the express than gw. You will find that from West Drayton carrige capacity is maxed out, but thins slightly at Hayes as people get off here to catch buses and trains to Heathrow.
It's a pretty maxed out route and having experience of this line makes me believe your friend will have big issues and challenges with such a large wheeled bike, even a brompton is on this route.
I would personally only take a bike on this route if catching trains after 9:30am its simply to manic imho.
A far better option for your friend imho would be to buy a cyclecross style bike and ride the length of the Grand union canal towpath which goes from West Drayton to Ealing, it's a pleasurable ride and saves time when compared to waiting for a train which stops for five minutes at each station. Also saves money from train fair.

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
Becs your friend would be better off cycling to the next station up which is called Hayes as from here you can not only catch Great Western trains, but you can catch the Heathrow Express to Ealing Broadway. You have a higher sucess rate with the express than gw. You will find that from West Drayton carrige capacity is maxed out, but thins slightly at Hayes as people get off here to catch buses and trains to Heathrow.
It's a pretty maxed out route and having experience of this line makes me believe your friend will have big issues and challenges with such a large wheeled bike, even a brompton is on this route.
I would personally only take a bike on this route if catching trains after 9:30am its simply to manic imho.
A far better option for your friend imho would be to buy a cyclecross style bike and ride the length of the Grand union canal towpath which goes from West Drayton to Ealing, it's a pleasurable ride and saves time when compared to waiting for a train which stops for five minutes at each station. Also saves money from train fair.

I think the canal is a great idea, but unfortunately she doesn't - she's scared of her path being blocked by a weirdo and getting attacked or something. Her whole commute is from West Drayton to Camden so almost 20 miles in total which is a bit far for her to do twice a day (although could be done entirely on the canal). We had a practice run yesterday and we got the bikes on fine, however I cannot believe the awful conditions people are expected to travel in - if you tried to travel pigs in that kind of stocking density you would be arrested! It was absolutely disgusting, especially given how much people are paying. I'll suggest she tries the Hayes route before committing to buying.

Ian: I got a folder when I moved to Crews Hill - if I don't feel up to 15 miles each way, I get off at Bowes Park and do 7. I overtook a roadie yesterday and have managed 24mph on it so far! Quite a nippy little thing really!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ian: I got a folder when I moved to Crews Hill - if I don't feel up to 15 miles each way, I get off at Bowes Park and do 7. I overtook a roadie yesterday and have managed 24mph on it so far! Quite a nippy little thing really!

Excellent stuff... hope you have a basket on the front :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Becs

Becs

Veteran
15 miles each way on a folder?!! Wow, hardcore... :eek:

If I do the whole 15 each way I take my road bike/tourer if I need panniers. I only use the folder if I use the train, but 7 miles each way on it is very comfy - just needs a few extra gears to stop me spinning out down hill/being overtaken so much! I was sceptical at first having borrowed a brompton but I can't believe how comfy the Dawes is, although I do have the handlebars and seat post pretty much at maximum - at least the upright position stops me flashing too much cleavage when I'm in "civies" :whistle:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
15 miles each way on a folder?!! Wow, hardcore... :eek:
Hardly....I did multiple FNRttCs on my old Dahon Jetstream, and the Speed Pro TT I've got now is even better for long distance (haven't done a century on it yet, but I will)...

I've done rides of 80 miles or so on my Brompton and been up mountains/very big hills on it - and on unsurfaced tracks.

Get out on that thing and SruAff and let us know how you get on - I do remember a guy doing Dunwich on a Speed Pro one year.

On the topic, I can understand something like the Speed Pro and many other Dahons being restricted/banned on busy peak hour trains - my Speed Pro is debatedly more of an obstruction folded than not - a right old collection of bits.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I've done rides of 80 miles or so on my Brompton and been up mountains/very big hills on it - and on unsurfaced tracks.

Get out on that thing and SruAff and let us know how you get on - I do remember a guy doing Dunwich on a Speed Pro one year.

On the topic, I can understand something like the Speed Pro and many other Dahons being restricted/banned on busy peak hour trains - my Speed Pro is debatedly more of an obstruction folded than not - a right old collection of bits.
Yup, saw a TT on last year's DD.

Top Bottom