Train ticket confuselation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pzycoman

Im trying to book a London -> Notts -> London ticket for next week, and im just confused with some of the tickets - I wanna get a first class ticket, if its not too expensive, because not really looking forward to spending 4 hours on a train...

Would MML 1ST ADVANCE C be a first class ticket? Im guessing that by the "1ST", but who knows? Could mean I get the first seat, or im the first to give up my seat? :tongue:

If so, it means that 2 one way 1st class tickets are 13 quid cheaper than a basic return xx( How does that work?

vbc

Which part of Notts (Nottinghamshire) are you traveling to? Or are you in fact going to Nottm?

peekay76

Advance train tickets follow no logic other than the earlier you can book them the cheaper they are. A MML 1ST ADVANCE C will be a first class ticket.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Wimp...xx( London-Nottm? 2 hours each way? Try 5 hours each way on a Virgin Train from York to Winchester. Specially fitted with some of the most uncomfortable seats in any train I've travelled on. I have to say, I sometimes think wistfully of first class for that trip...

I think first advance is first class yes - is it the weekend upgrade thing?

Anyone know BTW, and Ot (sorry!) what the longest train journey you can do within Britain is? Can you do Aberdeen/Penzance in one trip, no changes? That would be a trip you'd want to do in first class I think...

JamesAC

Indeed it is a first class ticket, and if you book it early enough it should be really cheap. Mrs AC is off to Nottingham on MML and it's costing her £28.00 return first class.

Beats sitting in standard with the oiks, innit?

xx(

OP
OP
pzycoman

pzycoman

Arch said:
Wimp...xx( London-Nottm? 2 hours each way? Try 5 hours each way on a Virgin Train from York to Winchester.

Extra hour each way on the underground too, standing up, with someones armpit in my face :tongue:

Arch said:
I think first advance is first class yes - is it the weekend upgrade thing?

Nope its just a single ticket each way...I still cant get my head around the fact that first class is cheaper than standard!

bonj2

Another option is getting to newark instead. Local buses to nottingham stop on appletongate, just outside the castle over the road from northgate station.
The bus might take an hour, but the train is MUCH faster and you won't have to change 'cos it's on the east coast mainline, iirc only takes about an hour and a half or something.

radger

Veteran
Arch said:
Anyone know BTW, and Ot (sorry!) what the longest train journey you can do within Britain is? Can you do Aberdeen/Penzance in one trip, no changes? That would be a trip you'd want to do in first class I think...

You used to be able to — I'd get on the Aberdeen-Penzance in Sheffield, and get off in Exeter. There's a direct train from Penzance-Dundee — only 12 hours, assuming no delays xx(
None the other way though — they terminate in Glasgow

http://www.virgintrains.co.uk/img/timetables/200705/VT3.pdf

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Another option is getting to newark instead. Local buses to nottingham stop on appletongate, just outside the castle over the road from northgate station.
The bus might take an hour, but the train is MUCH faster and you won't have to change 'cos it's on the east coast mainline, iirc only takes about an hour and a half or something.

UM, if it's an hour and a half to Newark, then an hour on the bus to Nottingham, as opposed to 2 hours to Nottingham (no changes, sometimes as little as 1hr 40min), how is that MUCH faster? Or indeed, faster at all?

bonj2

Arch said:
UM, if it's an hour and a half to Newark, then an hour on the bus to Nottingham, as opposed to 2 hours to Nottingham (no changes, sometimes as little as 1hr 40min), how is that MUCH faster? Or indeed, faster at all?

Well the train itself is faster, definitely (~1hr 20). But it surprises me that it's less than 2 hours to nottingham, so stick with that if he actually wants to go to nottingham itself.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
Well the train itself is faster, definitely (~1hr 20). But it surprises me that it's less than 2 hours to nottingham, so stick with that if he actually wants to go to nottingham itself.

Yes, the train to Newark is faster. But then to get to Nottingham, he needs to spend an hour on the bus...

Nottingham is only, what, 130 miles from London? (Rough guess, based on position of Leicester). You could almost drive it in two hours, except Nottingham is a little way off the M1...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ho! Just looked up London to Nottingham on the AA site and they say exactly 130 miles? Lucky guess! They also say 2hr 43min to drive it, I'm guessing a lot of that is down to getting out of central London and into central Nottingham.

Top Bottom