Train Ticket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
You just need the booking reference and the debit card you used to pay.

Go to the machine, follow the instructions on screen - it's so simple even I can do it! :laugh:

Edit to add, make sure you wait for it to print out all the tickets - it will say how many are being printed on screen and it's usually more than you might think. If you reserved seats it will print those too.

[QUOTE 5051535, member: 9609"]just had a book a train for early tommorow, havn't been on a train for years and never used one of these booking systems, have bought ticket (39 to london, cheaper than I guessed). It says I get tickets out of machine at station with debit card? do I need to print the letter confirmation thing out ? I don't have a printer and its getting a bit late to ask a neighbour.
I have to be on this train 6am the morrow and getting a litle worried I won't have correct paperwork[/QUOTE]

If you booked online you should have a booking reference. Go to station with the card you used to purchase ticket online. Go to ticket machine. Tap "collect tickets". Follow instructions on screen, which will be to insert card (no payment will be taken, it is just to confirm ID), enter booking reference, and probably to confirm details.

You will need the booking reference which you should have been emailed.

Tim Hall

Sometimes you don't need the booking reference. The times when I don't have the booking reference with me and the machine asking for it tend to match though. Scribble it down on the back of a fag packet.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Allow enough time before your train to collect the tickets. The same machines will probably be selling tickets for immediate travel too, as an alternative to any ticket office m, but you have to use the machines to collect tickets - they usually won't allow you to collect them from a staffed counter any more.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
As others say. Go to machine and select 'collect pre booked tickets' or similar then follow prompts. It will want the card you booked on (as ID) and then the alphanumeric booking code provided when you booked and then emailed to you. If you cannot print it or send it to your phone then write it down (carefully!!).

It's pretty simple and darn near foolproof. Even I can do it!!

You can use any card. It doesn't have to be the one that was used to make the booking despite National Rail saying this in a few places.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
You can use any card. It doesn't have to be the one that was used to make the booking despite National Rail saying this in a few places.

That's interesting and I didn't know that. Can you use any card whatsoever? Not even your card?

I remember I went to pick up a Fast Ticket and then remembered I had cancelled the Cr Card I had booked with and had a new one. Cue considerable panic on my part...I went to the Virgin information desk and they sorted it there

[QUOTE 5051631, member: 9609"]10 minutes to the tube ?

arrive king cross 9:40
walthamstow 10:00 ?

could be rolling on the M11 at 11

Home 10pm ^_^

anyway - thanks all for the help and pointers - heading off to bed[/QUOTE]
Nothing is that reliable in London, but yes, pretty close to that. Probably 5 minutes to the tube, if you don't get lost ... and 15 minutes. So 25 from the train seems quite likely

sleep well and bon voyage.

bruce1530

Guru
That's interesting and I didn't know that. Can you use any card whatsoever? Not even your card?

We regularly use this service for work travel - my office books the ticket on their card and passes the code number on to me. I need to swipe my card (any card would do) to collect the tickets.

According to TheTrainLine, you need the card used to make the booking for certain tickets, but for some types of bookings any card will do. It should tell you at payment time whether you’ll need a specific card.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Victoria line. 10 minutes or so.

Tap in with any credit or debit card, and make sure you tap out again.
"Tap" means hold your contactless card against the yellow pad to the right of the barrier you're entering/exiting through, or by the red boundary line if there aren't barriers.

It's obvious once you've done it, but I use King's Cross St Pancras more than others and there are always people new to London struggling to do it.

Top Bottom